+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should i get a dating scan and blood tests?

Hi
    so i got a bfp last friday which im estimating makes me 5 weeks pregnant today. Feel free to correct me if im wrong- the first day of my last period was aug 29th and my average cycle is 28 days.
    i have a doctors appointment tomorrow but just wanted to see other peoples advice if i should other with blood tests seeing as i already did two POAS tests which came back strong positive. And also the dating scan, when would this normally be done? I would really like to see a HB so i think the dating scan is something i would like regardless, am just a bit confused being such early days have no one to really talk to about such things.
    Thanks in advance

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeetie View Post
    Hi
    so i got a bfp last friday which im estimating makes me 5 weeks pregnant today. Feel free to correct me if im wrong- the first day of my last period was aug 29th and my average cycle is 28 days.
    i have a doctors appointment tomorrow but just wanted to see other peoples advice if i should other with blood tests seeing as i already did two POAS tests which came back strong positive. And also the dating scan, when would this normally be done? I would really like to see a HB so i think the dating scan is something i would like regardless, am just a bit confused being such early days have no one to really talk to about such things.
    Thanks in advance
    Yes 5 weeks is correct I wouldn't bother with blood tests, you'd need multiple ones to know if your HCG (hormone) levels are increasing properly anyway. Regarding the dating scan, you would look at getting it after 5 weeks 4 days...that's the earliest most recommended as thats about when they heartbeat starts, best to wait longer if you can but not after 8 weeks.

Don't ever feel you can't ask questions!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Also you'll be due the beginning of June? There is a June due dates group here http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...?881-June-2013 you'll find lots of women due around the same time as you.

And congratulations!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bloods are not just to check hcg, they check many other things, immunity to certain illnesses, they check for some infections. So yes get the bloods and if you get a scan go after 6 weeks, this is what they recommend now as many people are not seeing heartbeats before 6 weeks and it increases stress.
    And Congratulations

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for the replies i shall go join the thread now thanks headoverfeet. Its all so much to take in at the moment very excited about this journey!! I have a long list of questions for the gp tomor, just wanted really to see everyones thoughts and recommendations about the bloods and scans as have read many people do them and many that dont!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!

When I got my BFP at 4 weeks the GP ordered a whole lot of blood tests for me but none of it was for hCG. I did get a referral for a dating scan though, which we went for at 8 weeks and saw a strong heartbeat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseBetweenTheThorns View Post
    Bloods are not just to check hcg, they check many other things, immunity to certain illnesses, they check for some infections. So yes get the bloods and if you get a scan go after 6 weeks, this is what they recommend now as many people are not seeing heartbeats before 6 weeks and it increases stress.
    And Congratulations
    Yeps routine bloods are
    Blood group
    Antibodies
    Full blood count
    Syphilis (RPR)
    Hepatitis B
    Hepatitis C
    HIV
    Measles/mumps/rubella immunity

Then pee in a jar and get checked for any urine infections and chlamydia/gonorrhoea.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

RoseBetweenTheThorns  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseBetweenTheThorns View Post
    And Congratulations
    Yes of course sorry I actually totally forgot about these other blood tests, of course get them done! I was referring to blood tests for BHCG..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeetie View Post
    Hi
    Thanks in advance
    Hey congratulations on you BFP.
    I got mine on Sunday. I did a test on Friday and it was really faint so thought I imagined it. Then again Sunday and positive. My last period was 21st of Aug and have a 34 day cycle. So we will be due around the same time.
    I went to the doctors yesterday and had a blood test today. I should get the results tomorrow over the phone.
    Anyway my normal gp just retired and I was not overly happy with my doc appointment yesterday. I'd also love to get a dating scan to be sue but don't think this doc will give me a referral.
    If you don't mind Sweeetie can you let me know how u go with your appointment and what tests you get done this early on. This is my first bub and although I could ask friends that have had babies. Hubby wants to keep the secret till the 12 week mark.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Yes of course sorry I actually totally forgot about these other blood tests, of course get them done! I was referring to blood tests for BHCG..
    We all forget