+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tatia&shura View Post
    We have the exact same dilemma. I think we're going to send her early. Im annoyed that we have no preschool spot, but I think another 12 months at home with no daycare and not enough attention from me (currently also have a 2yo and 9 week old) would have more negatives. I'm open to the possibly of her repeating kindy if need be (not that this is ideal).

Its such a tough decision!
    The repeating thing bothers me too.

We will be in WA so he'll have to go to school, but the year after we are coming back to Sydney.

So technically he could repeat in Sydney if needed but there are such negative connotations with repeating (probably all in my head) that I'd rather he didn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. We have chosen to hold my daughter back. She will be 5 on April 10th 2014,she will remain in preschool. In 2015 she will go to school and turn 6 in the April. She was fully ready but we thought being 11 in year 7 and 17 leaving school was a little young.
    My sister-in-law is a teacher and chose to hold her daughter back as the year 11 and 12 curriculum is getting harder here in Australia and statistically they are finding the younger students in these years are not coping academically or emotionally with the workload.
    Its a personal choice but I honestly think giving them an extra year of development is the best thing for them. School is hard in many ways. Do what you know is best for your child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a teacher and my DD1 turns 5 on 29 April 2014. I am holding her back. We are in NSW and the cut of for school is END of July!!!!!
    It is totally ridiculous. I have been teaching for 15yrs and in that time the curriculum has dramatically changed. Kindergarten/pre prep/ reception or whatever each state calls it is no long a play based program. It's a fully rigorous academic curriculum. What we used to teach in years 1 and 2 is now being done in kinder.
    I truly believe that starting children closer to age 5.5-6 gives them a much better start to school. They are better equipped to cope with the changes and they are able to learn much better than a 4.5 year old child!!!!
    My advice to parents is ALWAYS hold them back if you can!!!!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loulabelle For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-10-2013),Julesbwn  (04-10-2013),Vonnie89  (05-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loulabelle View Post
    I am a teacher and my DD1 turns 5 on 29 April 2014. I am holding her back. We are in NSW and the cut of for school is END of July!!!!!
    It is totally ridiculous. I have been teaching for 15yrs and in that time the curriculum has dramatically changed. Kindergarten/pre prep/ reception or whatever each state calls it is no long a play based program. It's a fully rigorous academic curriculum. What we used to teach in years 1 and 2 is now being done in kinder.
    I truly believe that starting children closer to age 5.5-6 gives them a much better start to school. They are better equipped to cope with the changes and they are able to learn much better than a 4.5 year old child!!!!
    My advice to parents is ALWAYS hold them back if you can!!!!
    Thanks loubelle that's really helpful to know.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD turned 5 at the beginning of May and started school this year. She's the smallest in the whole grade, but is really bright and is doing so well in reading, etc. She has been student of the week twice, is just earned a silver behaviour award, she has lovely friends and has just flourished at school. I'm a teacher and knew that she was more than ready to go- I felt I would have done her a disservice in keeping her back.
    She's not the youngest in her class either- here in Qld it seems that people tend to stick with the mid-year cut offs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't be thinking about year 12, I would be thinking about school readiness now. If you feel like she's ready emotionally and socially then that's a great sign. I've taught prep recently and currently working on a kinder-prep transition program and can honestly say there is only one right way, the right way for you child at that particular time. I'm normally an advocate of 2 years at kinder but if you feel like she's ready and she will almost be 5 when she starts anyway then I think speak to her kinder and school for their opinions and let that be your guide.