+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started the year earlier so I finished school at 17 & 5 months.

I didnt bother me about not being 'legal'(I had fake ID) but honestly, I lacked so much maturity going into uni.

I had no idea what I was doing, I knew what interested me but no concept that this would be a career path. Making friendships was hard, and I was really immature socially.

I have a similar issue now with ds1 who should start school 2 days after his 5th bday. I don't think he'll be ready but I also think sending h at 6 would potentially be frowned upon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of the things we always told parents at preschool when they were considering sending a younger child to school and were unsure about it was that there are usually more positives for holding them back a year than negatives. A lot of younger children meet the school readiness requirements in regards to academics but emotionally they may not be mature enough to cope. The teenage years might be something to think about too.. My mum has said a few times that she wishes she had held my little sister back a year because she believes she might have been better equipped to deal with some of the situations she found herself in with friends that were older than her. Every child is different and you have a lot to consider, you need to make the right choice for your family.. Good luck =)
    Last edited by Vonnie89; 03-10-2013 at 19:08.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vonnie89 For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Emotionally she would be fine to attend school nowm she was in childcare fulltime until a year ago and keeps asking when she can go again. I believe she would probably cope ok with the first few years but its later that I'm worried about.
    On the other hand if she is one of the oldest will she be bored and get herself into trouble because of it. Argghhh it's doing my head in , I'm so fruatrated!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would wait until 5, enjoy one more year with her at home.
    They are only little for such a short time.

My DS will be starting at 6yo because he is not ready emotionally yet.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Dragon For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Centralised intake system means everyone in this council area applies through the council and the council place you based on a combo of a points system and then random conputer generation.
    I did ring and politely explained my dilemma to the intake officer and she acknowledged it was crap that I didn't get a place and the situation I am left in. It usee to be based on age with the oldest getting places first as they don't have the option to wait another year for kindy but its not done that way anymore.
    She told me everyone had applied for the same sessions and told me which ones still had vacancies and added them to my preference list for round two so at the very least we should get a place somewhere. I would just have to work out how to juggle a crappy timetable of 4 different session times over 4 days for 15hrs a week (hmmm no wonder no one wanted those sessions). Even though their are vacancies for those unwanted sessions they can't just enrol DD in one we have to wait for round two and it all goes through the points and random computer picking again in order of listed preferences as some people decline their first round placement. After that there is then a round 3 in the new year (which we wont wait for as that's way too late for school option). So I think I will start getting a school enrolment pack and finding out more from the school as welk and then I am armes with options if round two doesn't get us a place.
    Someone suggested extra curricular activities. She already does swimming and we could afford one more thing a week but after that ita to expensive. We go to story time and meet up with other mums and kids in the area but its not the same level of stimulation and interaction you get from spending time witg reoccurring familiar people to build friendships and challenge her cognitive skills.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my DS 18 just finished Year 12 ( HSC starts 8/10) and he was 18 in May..
    DD will be 18 in the Oct of Year 12.. ( 2015)

for me it didnt matter about when they were 18 and school. They started when it was the right year for them. I didnt worry about them being the youngest or the oldest, they just went with the "norm"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    my DS 18 just finished Year 12 ( HSC starts 8/10) and he was 18 in May..
    DD will be 18 in the Oct of Year 12.. ( 2015)

for me it didnt matter about when they were 18 and school. They started when it was the right year for them. I didnt worry about them being the youngest or the oldest, they just went with the "norm"
    Louise did your DS1 one have any issues with partying and clubbing etc getting in the way of his final year since he was 18 for a lot of that year?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have the exact same dilemma. I think we're going to send her early. Im annoyed that we have no preschool spot, but I think another 12 months at home with no daycare and not enough attention from me (currently also have a 2yo and 9 week old) would have more negatives. I'm open to the possibly of her repeating kindy if need be (not that this is ideal).

Its such a tough decision!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    Louise did your DS1 one have any issues with partying and clubbing etc getting in the way of his final year since he was 18 for a lot of that year?

my son hasnt even been to the pub yet and its 4 blocks from our house... he doesnt drink even at home alot of his mates are the same.. he has a gf so he spends all his time with her.. so it hasnt been an issue

I always told him that Year 12 was important and that once he is done , there is plenty of time for clubbing etc...

my son went to his very first party the day after they all finished year 12... he was home before midnight lol he said it was boring as so many were drunk..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just from my experience I started at 4 years, very small and petite (other Kinder kids used to pick me up and treat me like a doll lol) as I was ready. No bullying here!

There was no real difference in the end, in fact it may of helped because all the really older kids had a heap of pressure at 18 years to buy others alcohol and to drive everyone around.

Eta: and the really older kids had nobody to go to the club with and celebrate when they turned 18.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 04-10-2013 at 10:03.