+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Age for starting school

Just wanting to get some opinions/experiences on starting school age.
    We live in one of Australia's biggest growth areas and kindergarten (preschool for some- the non formal year before starring primary school) is done as a centralised intake system in our council area. Placements went out yeaterday and DD didn't get a place and is on a wait list for second round allocations. It's led to DH and I discussing starting her at school instead next year. The school age cut off in VIC is 30th April and DD was born 23rd April. She can go to school next year at 4years but we had decided to wait another year as she would likely be one of the youngest,possibly the youngest in her classes. Our concern would be that she would be 11 going into high school and 16 going into year 12 and socially that could be an issue as peers go through puberty, get licenses, drink etc.
    She would cope fine at school next year and meets all the school readiness check lists but its later and the follow on effects that have us scratching our heads with what to do. She is also physically very small and petite for her age so I worry about bullying (as i am sure every parent does).
    If she gets into a kinder place in the second round we wont find out until the start of nov which is leaving it very late for school enrolment. After speaking with the kinder placement officer today we have found out the placements that may be left avail have less than desirable timetables and it would be a pain with a baby to organise sleep etc. (Example 15hrs a week over 4 days -8.00-11.00, 2.15-5.15, 8.00-12.30, 1.00-5.00).
    What age did you send your child and what has been your experience?
    Childcare isn't an option for us as we can't afford it and she will go nuts at home with me for another year.

ETA- so she will have to start school at either 4yrs 9months or 5yrs 9months
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by jez; 03-10-2013 at 17:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally I think 4 is far too young to start school. Can you fit in more extra curricular activities next year if you don't get a kindy place? I have a very intelligent 4yr old who won't start school until 2015, I have been told by many people to start her next year but I just feel it wouldn't be fair for her to start so young.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

jez  (03-10-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (04-10-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (03-10-2013),Vonnie89  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in Queensland. My 3 are all completely different - DD1 is one of the youngest, DS is in the middle, and DD2 is one of the eldest (They started Prep - the year before Year 1 at DD1: 4.5yo, DS: 5yo, DD2 will start at 5.5yo).

DD1 handled starting school beautifully, and now she is in Year 3, and you really can't tell at all who is at the younger end and who is at the older end.

I'm not really fazed either way - there is and always has been a 12 month age variance in each year level. DD1 will be 16.5 when she starts year 12, DS 17 and DD2 17.5.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

jez  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Although 4 is too young, it really does depend on the child. My DD2 is a March baby but I will send her as she is a third child, very confident & used to older kids.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pigeonpairplusone For This Useful Post:

jez  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a young one for my age, started school at 4, high school at 11, as far as puberty I went through it 12 months before all my older friends and license etc never was an issue, there will always be more than 1 younger child in the class. If it was me personally, I would send her to school. Here in qld they have to be 5 by 30 June.

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseBetweenTheThorns For This Useful Post:

jez  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just in relation to being 16 when going into Grade 12 - that's how it was for many, many years in Queensland.

Students started in Grade 1 at the beginning of the year they turned 6.

The first year of high school was Grade 8 and we were 12 turning 13 that year.

The difference I guess is everyone was 16. Not some children almost 18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would hold her back until she is 5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Just in relation to being 16 when going into Grade 12 - that's how it was for many, many years in Queensland.

Students started in Grade 1 at the beginning of the year they turned 6.

The first year of high school was Grade 8 and we were 12 turning 13 that year.

The difference I guess is everyone was 16. Not some children almost 18.
    That's my problem, not her age but the age gap. My choicest are send her as one of the very youngest.(she could easily end up being the youngest in.the school for a year) or as one of the oldest where she will be 5yr 9momths when she starts school.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sent my second DD at 4 - her birthday is April 23. She is a confident child and had no problem moving up to 1st grade. I would rather she completed all her final year school exams before she reached 18. I personally would have hated being technically an adult but still classed as a child by being stuck in school for that last year if my parents had held me back. But every child is different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing. Ds isn't close yet but daycare said I should think about 3yr old kinder! I think it's too young. Would rather hear one be when he is 5 going on 6 like I was. Hold your child back if u feel that's what's right. But Yeh being 18 and at high school would suck but they won't know any different..