+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Terry cloth nappies...

So I'm considering using the old school cloth nappies at home during the day with this bub to save some money. I was originally going to get mcns but the other way seems better (cheaper, faster drying etc).

So I'll need nappies, pilchers, liners, snaps/pins and a soaking bucket... anything else?

Do I need a pilcher for every nappy or do they get used for a few nappies?

Any hints or tips?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think you can reuse the covers. I would avoid the plastic cheapies and get some good quality covers from baby beehinds or similar.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (03-10-2013),mrsd  (03-10-2013)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    @GreenMama uses terry nappies I think.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (03-10-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    So I'm considering using the old school cloth nappies at home during the day with this bub to save some money. I was originally going to get mcns but the other way seems better (cheaper, faster drying etc).

So I'll need nappies, pilchers, liners, snaps/pins and a soaking bucket... anything else?

Do I need a pilcher for every nappy or do they get used for a few nappies?

Any hints or tips?
    Firstly you are mad, I tried them with DS2 and it was a pita- I used them at daycare and my mother used them with my half brother so I am *very* good at using them..they are just not half as good as MCN.

They are just not as absorbent as MCN, you have to fold them all (as opposed to just popping the insert into a pocket MCN) which is much eaiser and quicker.

Nappies~ 24.
    Pilchers~ min 6.
    Liners~ disposable ones are best.
    Snaps~ 3 sets.
    Soaking bucket~ just dry pail them all in the same bucket (remove poo first!), tip them into the machine once a day and rinse them on a cold cycle, then wash with some nappisan or whatever you want to use.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Firstly you are mad, I tried them with DS2 and it was a pita- I used them at daycare and my mother used them with my half brother so I am *very* good at using them..they are just not half as good as MCN.

They are just not as absorbent as MCN, you have to fold them all (as opposed to just popping the insert into a pocket MCN) which is much eaiser and quicker.

Nappies~ 24.
    Pilchers~ min 6.
    Liners~ disposable ones are best.
    Snaps~ 3 sets.
    Soaking bucket~ just dry pail them all in the same bucket (remove poo first!), tip them into the machine once a day and rinse them on a cold cycle, then wash with some nappisan or whatever you want to use.
    See, folding them wouldn't bother me, I'd prep them as I get them off the line.
    I just don't see mcns being as cost effective when I don't plan on using them full time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started with 3 dozen nappies, dozen pitchers (you can get nice nappy covers from mcn companies), dozen pins and I wet pailed with napisan. Washed every second day by rinsing in machine then throwing other clothes in and washing all together. We used flamnelette and they were fine, you are not crazy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (03-10-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    See, folding them wouldn't bother me, I'd prep them as I get them off the line.
    I just don't see mcns being as cost effective when I don't plan on using them full time.
    Fair enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't heard of the flannelette ones, I'll have a look

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I haven't heard of the flannelette ones, I'll have a look
    You can also get bamboo ones, and have a look for wool covers they are meant to be heaps better than the plastic ones

14. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week