+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,451
    Thanks
    1,901
    Thanked
    1,149
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Why don't I have low iron?

    My bloods came back as having normal iron levels, but I have virtually no iron at all. I may have very small amount if red meat once a week

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There's iron in foods other than red meat.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

    αληθη  (03-10-2013)

  4. #3
    AdornedWithCats's Avatar
    AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    7,816
    Thanks
    6,780
    Thanked
    3,407
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I guess you must be getting as much as you need. Iron can be found in lots of other foods other than red meat. Are you taking any vitamins?

    Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,451
    Thanks
    1,901
    Thanked
    1,149
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No I only took folate and only taking vit d now

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked
    123
    Reviews
    1
    Not in my second trimester but dropping in - I have a lot of issues with iron and it's actually found in a lot of green leafy veges etc. So if you eat that sort of stuff that could be your source I wouldnt be too concerned

  7. #6
    lexim's Avatar
    lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,548
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    805
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you ever been tested for haemacromatosis? It's where your blood has too much iron.
    I have it and so when I have pregnancy bloods my iron always comes back as either normal or slightly high?

    You just get a blood test from your dr and it will tell you if you do or not.

    It's genetic so both parents have to either have it or be a carrier.

    When my iron gets to high I get the same symptoms that you would get should your iron be low - fatigue etc. and I have to get blood drained if it gets really high - just donate to the Red Cross

    It can be dangerous if you don't manage it, so it's worth getting tested just to be sure


    DH(31)+ Me(25)=
    DS (09/12/09)
    DS (04/02/13)
    Hoping for #3 soon!

  8. #7
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wish I had that problem lol! Mine is way too low

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,451
    Thanks
    1,901
    Thanked
    1,149
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post
    Have you ever been tested for haemacromatosis? It's where your blood has too much iron.
    I have it and so when I have pregnancy bloods my iron always comes back as either normal or slightly high?

    You just get a blood test from your dr and it will tell you if you do or not.

    It's genetic so both parents have to either have it or be a carrier.

    When my iron gets to high I get the same symptoms that you would get should your iron be low - fatigue etc. and I have to get blood drained if it gets really high - just donate to the Red Cross

    It can be dangerous if you don't manage it, so it's worth getting tested just to be sure


    DH(31)+ Me(25)=
    DS (09/12/09)
    DS (04/02/13)
    Hoping for #3 soon!
    Mmm Interesting. They didn't say it was really high or anything else about it. I do get very worn out and fatigued. I do know that when I have even just a bit of meat or 2mg of iron only, I get very constipated.

  10. #9
    lexim's Avatar
    lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,548
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    805
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    Mmm Interesting. They didn't say it was really high or anything else about it. I do get very worn out and fatigued. I do know that when I have even just a bit of meat or 2mg of iron only, I get very constipated.
    Yeah mine doesn't get really high during pregnancy, it usually just comes up normal (obviously because its normally high - during pregnancy it isn't) but sometimes it's slightly high.
    Worth getting checked?


    DH(31)+ Me(25)=
    DS (09/12/09)
    DS (04/02/13)
    Hoping for #3 soon!

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,451
    Thanks
    1,901
    Thanked
    1,149
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post
    Yeah mine doesn't get really high during pregnancy, it usually just comes up normal (obviously because its normally high - during pregnancy it isn't) but sometimes it's slightly high.
    Worth getting checked?


    DH(31)+ Me(25)=
    DS (09/12/09)
    DS (04/02/13)
    Hoping for #3 soon!
    Thanks I will


 

Similar Threads

  1. Low Iron symptoms?
    By Cool Cookies in forum General Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-03-2013, 19:46
  2. Anyone had an iron transfusion
    By bellapaigesmum in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 25-11-2012, 11:33
  3. low iron + low bp
    By Hunkamunka in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17-10-2012, 22:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Mother and Baby Shop
Save $$$ during our Christmas Sale Mother and Baby Shop
Great prices on Schoenhut kids pianos, toys, baby clothing as well as big brands like Pigeon, NUK, Cherub Baby and many more. Sale starts on 1 November 2016 and ends on the 27 December 2016. Hurry! Place your order today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Sudocrem / Infacol
Sudocrem® Healing Cream is a soothing emollient cream which aids and assists in the management of nappy rash, eczema, abrasions, wounds and minor skin irritations. Infacol Wind Drops are an effective method of treating wind in infants.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!