+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I'm not giving my LLs notice until our things are gone, I have had a friend who had an incredibly frightening incident where a group of bikies entered her house while she was home and stole her property and they knew where everything was thanks to a recent open. My brothers rental that he owns has been broken into four times since they advertised and had opens for new tents. The thing is, when I go to opens for buying a property it is generally hired or minimal of the owners belongings there. They know to get things out early whereas tenants are liable for rent payments up until the minute they move out.
    We've done this with the last two places we've rented, because the one before we ended up with broken nic nacs after a showing. It ends up a tad expensive when you pay a months rent for an empty house, but it is worth the peace of mind.

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Who said anything about lanlords wiping their hands of it?

Respecting tenants privacy who pay damn good money to live there is the issue.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (04-10-2013),sunnyflower  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    It has nothing to do with emotional attachment. Owning an investment property is a large financial commitment. People that make any large financial commitment in any type of investment would be prudent to not just sign it over and wipe their hands of it, whether a property, shares portfolio etc.

Why is an owner viewing photos any different to the owner attending the inspection? It is okay for the owner to attend the inspection, but they become 'randoms' and 'anybodys' via emailed photos? I live 1500km away from 2 of our properties, I can hardly pop along on a routine inspection. I may have employed Property Managers, but those property managers don't always act in my best interest. Property Managers can be hired and fired.
    It's very different. You can physically hang on to photographs- they could be of children, of expensive possessions, etc.. once a tenant moves out, you've still got these!

I think if you can't trust your PM to give you an accurate run down of the condition, perhaps you need a different one or to manage the property yourself.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (03-10-2013),LoveLivesHere  (03-10-2013),SoThisIsLove  (03-10-2013),trustno1  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a LL I appreciate the photos I get sent. I don't see the point of the ones showing a cluttered room because clutter doesn't worry me. The ones I do want to see are the bathroom - but only if it isn't clean. My tenant looks to never clean the shower and I'm a bit cranky that at the end of his lease I'll need to completely regrout the shower because he hasn't been keeping it clean. It's on the market too so if we ever get any interest then prospective buyers will be seeing a dirty filthy house. Next time they inspect I'm going too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Why do commercial landlords not ask for photos? It is a bigger investment and riskier. They tend to behave with far more professionalism in my experience, and take things far less personally.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (04-10-2013),HarvestMoon  (03-10-2013),RobinSparkles  (03-10-2013),SoThisIsLove  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It has nothing to do with emotional attachment. Owning an investment property is a large financial commitment. People that make any large financial commitment in any type of investment would be prudent to not just sign it over and wipe their hands of it, whether a property, shares portfolio etc.

Why is an owner viewing photos any different to the owner attending the inspection? It is okay for the owner to attend the inspection, but they become 'randoms' and 'anybodys' via emailed photos? I live 1500km away from 2 of our properties, I can hardly pop along on a routine inspection. I may have employed Property Managers, but those property managers don't always act in my best interest. Property Managers can be hired and fired.
    The difference between a LL coming to an inspection and emailing photos is that when a LL comes to an inspection you can guarantee that only they will see your house. Photos sent via email can go to anyone and everyone. I would not trust anyone with photographs of where all my stuff is, the layouts of my furniture, because you can never trust everyone to be honest.

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trustno1 For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (03-10-2013),headoverfeet  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    It's very different. You can physically hang on to photographs- they could be of children, of expensive possessions, etc.. once a tenant moves out, you've still got these!

I think if you can't trust your PM to give you an accurate run down of the condition, perhaps you need a different one or to manage the property yourself.

Couldn't the same be said in reverse? If you can't trust your PM or landlord to not misuse the photos perhaps you need to move?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Couldn't the same be said in reverse? If you can't trust your PM or landlord to not misuse the photos perhaps you need to move?
    Seriously? Wow....

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    So essentially you want to snoop and look into how the tenants are living their lives?
    It really shouldn't matter what goes on as long as they are fulfilling their obligations as a tenant.
    Seeing it at the end when it's all been cleaned is what you should want to see. It's then that any damage would be quite apparent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    As a LL I appreciate the photos I get sent. I don't see the point of the ones showing a cluttered room because clutter doesn't worry me. The ones I do want to see are the bathroom - but only if it isn't clean. My tenant looks to never clean the shower and I'm a bit cranky that at the end of his lease I'll need to completely regrout the shower because he hasn't been keeping it clean. It's on the market too so if we ever get any interest then prospective buyers will be seeing a dirty filthy house. Next time they inspect I'm going too.
    If the house was on the market, you could understand the tenant not really caring. They are probably about to be turfed out, after having to give up their privacy for inspection after inspection.

I don't agree with letting mould fester throughout the bathroom but things like clutter, not making beds and the likes... so be it!

Can I just ask how the photos are helping you? If you've seen this damage occuring, why has the tenant not been breached/told to rectify the issue?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

delirium  (03-10-2013),headoverfeet  (03-10-2013)