+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    The whole purpose of RE is to be the middle man. If the tenant isn't looking after the property then RE can tell the owners. But owners wanting photos for a trip down memory lane of their house or to have a sticky beak is not on! So over the power LL's wield over tenants

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yeah I would find it an incredibly invasion of privacy.

I am an owner, and we have never been sent any photos. I know the agent takes them with the property condition report before and after a lease ... but I dont think he takes them during a lease ... and if he does he certainly does not send them to us.

Actually, we dont get a copy of the inspection report either - he just lets us know if he has made any repairs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We always get photos sent of our rental with a report. I love seeing the photos, it gives me a visual of how the property is looking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracie's Mum View Post
    We always get photos sent of our rental with a report. I love seeing the photos, it gives me a visual of how the property is looking.
    Before and after a lease should be sufficient. Esp seeing as the agent would let you know if there were any issues.

I wonder if the tenant knows these pics are being taken?

I bet LLs would cry blue murder if people were taking pics of all their possessions / photos.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Headoverfeet I have exactly the same issue. Since moving to our new house in March we have had two inspections. The guy comes in with his ipad and takes photos of every single room in he house. I find it SO uncomfortable when he is doing it. I get the house isn't mine but he is taking photos of my things and my kids and passing them on to a complete stranger. I think it is such a huge invasion of privacy.
    To the owners who have commented that they like getting the photos, how would you feel if someone came into your house and took photos of everything and then passed them onto god knows who?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babalooba For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh this sh*ts me.
    Our PM does this.
    I make it a hassle for her and go around to each room with her and ask her to wait whilst I turn photos down,
    Take my time moving expensive belongings (I don't know who my landlords are! Who's to say they can't just use their key to come on in and steel things?)
    Mostly I do it to waste the PM's time

I also take my own dated photos, the morning of each inspection.
    That way if I get pinned for something in their photos I have my own to compare it too.
    They won't give me a copy, fine Ill make my own.

It's a huge invasion of privacy.
    First of all, it's photos of the house I'm living in, photos of my belongings, photos of my day to day life really!
    I don't know what kind of people my landlords are, just because they own a house doesn't make them law abiding citizens.
    Can the real estate guarantee me me no one will see the photos except her and the landlord? No she can't.
    Huge invasion and totally wrong.

Maybe next time ill film her doing the inspection to see how she likes it.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bergeron For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (03-10-2013),Gandalf  (04-10-2013),HarvestMoon  (03-10-2013),headoverfeet  (03-10-2013),Jl81  (03-10-2013),LoveLivesHere  (03-10-2013),MilkingMaid  (03-10-2013),trustno1  (03-10-2013),VanityFey  (03-10-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bergeron View Post
    oh this sh*ts me.
    Our pm does this.
    I make it a hassle for her and go around to each room with her and ask her to wait whilst i turn photos down,
    take my time moving expensive belongings (i don't know who my landlords are! Who's to say they can't just use their key to come on in and steel things?)
    mostly i do it to waste the pm's time

i also take my own dated photos, the morning of each inspection.
    That way if i get pinned for something in their photos i have my own to compare it too.
    They won't give me a copy, fine ill make my own.

It's a huge invasion of privacy.
    First of all, it's photos of the house i'm living in, photos of my belongings, photos of my day to day life really!
    I don't know what kind of people my landlords are, just because they own a house doesn't make them law abiding citizens.
    Can the real estate guarantee me me no one will see the photos except her and the landlord? No she can't.
    Huge invasion and totally wrong.

Maybe next time ill film her doing the inspection to see how she likes it.
    yes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Bergeron you should take pics of your RE agent and when she asks you what you're doing just reply " oh just a few shots for my facebook album, you dont mind do you?"

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (03-10-2013),ChickyBee  (03-10-2013),delirium  (03-10-2013),HarvestMoon  (03-10-2013),headoverfeet  (03-10-2013),Joeee  (03-10-2013),Mulva  (03-10-2013),RobinSparkles  (03-10-2013),VanityFey  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

The whole purpose of the (sometimes invasive) inspections is for RE to ensure the tenant is sticking to the tenancy agreement and looking after the property. I get that. But LL's have become a law unto themselves now. Taking photos of a person's HOME that they are paying to live in is not right. Taking photos before an after a tenant moves out is more than enough to ensure visual evidence of before and after condition.

The whole purpose of RE is to be the middle man. If the tenant isn't looking after the property then RE can tell the owners. But owners wanting photos for a trip down memory lane of their house or to have a sticky beak is not on! So over the power LL's wield over tenants
    you would be surprised at the differences between rentals here in Aust and a lot of other parts of the world, esp European. Here it is viewed as the landlord's house, therefore the tenant has to seek permission for anything and everything. And, going by this thread and many other accounts, no right to privacy. In some other places, an investment is a true investment, not the ex family home nor an overextended second mortgage and tenants basically live as though it is their own home...plant gardens etc. any damage repaired when the move ready for the next tenant.

i have only dealt with commercial investments, and there are no inspections or demands for photos...the tenants simply pay ther rent and move on.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been a landlord x 4 and a tenant x 5 over the past 8 years, and just have to say although popular opinion on the Hub that in my experience there is no way the Act and the tribunals overly favour landlords. Although that is a whole other kettle of fish (just responding to PP comments).

In regards to the photos taken at a routine inspection, I do appreciate it, and take time to look at the images. I might ask for the bathtub to be resilasticed, or the outside of the house to be pressure cleaned etc. things the property manager or tenant hasn't mentioned but I may have picked up from the photos.

As far as how would the landlords like it, well I have rented 5 different houses and haven't batted an eyelid at photos taken. I have 2 weeks notice for inspections, if it were really an issue I guess I could face photo frames down etc. And if I truly felt the landlord could come in the dead of the night and abscond with my wordly posessions then I would probably move the feck out of there pronto.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

HowCrazyCool  (03-10-2013),Kellbell85  (03-10-2013),lilypily  (03-10-2013),NancyBlackett  (03-10-2013)