+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The reason agents are taking photos more now is that when you claim on landlord insurance , the insurance companies do require photographic evidence that the damage was not there at the last inspection, as well as evidence for court to prove damage or even to cover the agent if a landlord refuses to say fix something in the home it covers the agent for damages if the damage causes harm (agents can get fined heavily for not reporting potential hazards to landlords , if the tenant sues for damages we are covered if we can prove we sent evidence of a request of repair to a landlord and he refused to fix it, he then would be liable - eg: someone drowning if a pool fence was faulty or getting electrocuted with a faulty wire - this happens more than you think)

The reason commercial properties are not this heavily regulated is because commercial tenants look after their own repairs and public liability insurance , and fit outs, residential tenants to do not

The same reason a hire suit or standard car would not need photos is that they are both usually not worth hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars

Our rental properties all have clauses in the lease that we will take photos at each inspection or tradespeople may do when carrying out a repair - our PM takes photos of the front of house, yard, any repairs or damage and is mindful of taking photos of tenant possessions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There was no damage to the sink though There is no claim. Surely a photo at the beginning of the tenancy before the tenant moves in and then a photo of any damage that pops up would suffice.

i have no issue with pictures of damage but this was a picture of her dishes in her clean, undamaged sink. Sorry, but to me that is absurd and an invasion of privacy.

fyi the commercial property I managed we organised all repairs. Still no photos of their dishes in the sink.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (04-10-2013),HarvestMoon  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would take photos while doing an inspection, but they'd be limited and normally for the LLs to see what needs to be repaired or has been repaired.

At my agency it wasn't standard practice to take photos for no reason (ie, non maintenance related) but if we needed to the tenant was always advised. I would help tenants move their photos or certain belongings if need be.

As a tenant I never had photos taken unless it was a maintenance issue.

I can appreciate LLs on here saying they like the 'proof' the inspection is being done or the like to see how the property is being maintained, but that's the PMs job. If you have doubts change agencies.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    There was no damage to the sink though There is no claim. Surely a photo at the beginning of the tenancy before the tenant moves in and then a photo of any damage that pops up would suffice.

i have no issue with pictures of damage but this was a picture of her dishes in her clean, undamaged sink. Sorry, but to me that is absurd and an invasion of privacy.

fyi the commercial property I managed we organised all repairs. Still no photos of their dishes in the sink.
    Unfortunately there are still some stupid property managers that don't have a clue , hopefully they are in the minority , its a very high turn over job, I wouldn't be a property manager for any amount of money!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Unfortunately there are still some stupid property managers that don't have a clue , hopefully they are in the minority , its a very high turn over job, I wouldn't be a property manager for any amount of money!
    This is my thinking. I really like my property managers, but it sounds like there's some shonky ones out there and I'm really surprised and disheartened that people can justify photos of a person's dishes being taken in the sink.

Photos of damage - normal and acceptable. When something is damaged or needs maintenance at my rental I am more than happy for photos to be taken and in great detail. If they want random shots of my bedroom, personal belongings or dishes I draw the line.

if this is becoming normal oh boy am I glad as of a mere few months I will never have to look at another blasted lease again.

ETA: I do not believe the tenant's privacy should be used as a tradeoff for and landlord-property manager disputes. If the landlord needs a genuine account to show they went to the property a signed document or photo of the front of the house surely would suffice. I cannot think of any other scenarios which require photos of what a third party is doing for 'proof', this should be no different.
    Last edited by Benji; 04-10-2013 at 00:01.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a LL. I've never received or expected photos from inspections. I couldn't care less if the place is messy with dishes, toys, newspapers, clutter, craft projects, unmade beds, wanting piled high, our tenant(s) pays rent to live in the house, it's not a show home. All I care about is that the place does not require any attention from us. On the rare occasion something has needed fixing / replacing we've given approval straight away. To date all repairs have been under $500 so no big deal. We have a great tenant, we hope he never leaves. We actually charge $20 p/w less than we could get just so he doesn't look elsewhere. Not all LL's are crap, like not all tenants are crap.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (04-10-2013),delirium  (04-10-2013),Gandalf  (04-10-2013),HarvestMoon  (04-10-2013),rainbow road  (04-10-2013),SoThisIsLove  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    I am a LL. I've never received or expected photos from inspections. I couldn't care less if the place is messy with dishes, toys, newspapers, clutter, craft projects, unmade beds, wanting piled high, our tenant(s) pays rent to live in the house, it's not a show home. All I care about is that the place does not require any attention from us. On the rare occasion something has needed fixing / replacing we've given approval straight away. To date all repairs have been under $500 so no big deal. We have a great tenant, we hope he never leaves. We actually charge $20 p/w less than we could get just so he doesn't look elsewhere. Not all LL's are crap, like not all tenants are crap.
    i seriously wish you were my landlord.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    I am a LL.. I couldn't care less if the place is messy with dishes, toys, newspapers, clutter, craft projects, unmade beds, wanting piled high, our tenant(s) pays rent to live in the house, it's not a show home. All I care about is that the place does not require any attention from us. .
    This!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    i seriously wish you were my landlord.
    Same. A LL that acknowledges her tenant is paying to live there and therefore has a right to quiet enjoyment and values her tenant by both fixing stuff and charging slightly less than what the property is worth to keep her tenant.

It's nice to read that.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (04-10-2013),Gandalf  (04-10-2013),GirlsRock  (10-10-2013),HarvestMoon  (04-10-2013),Stiflers Mom  (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My previous property manager (well, the owner's- I rent) was fantastic. Everything was done properly, treated us well, treated the landlord well, everyone was happy. They never took any photos at inspections. Unfortunately they left recently and were replaced by this young person who came in snapping away at her first inspection, apparently to provide evidence of the repair that was required (something relatively minor). Ah...I'm still waiting for it to be fixed. Been waiting weeks. I do not see what the point of photographing was when nothing has happened in response! Seems unnecessary to me. The PM should be doing their job, and if so one wouldn't think that photographs were a necessity.