+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Basically they take photos of rooms to refer to when you have moved out. If there are (for example) major dints in carpet - they can see u had furniture there and it was wear and tear - not damage by you.
    I don't have any issues with what the real estates have to do. I don't have issues with our land lord taking 2 years to replace a skirting board damaged by water leak - which was not our fault.
    Fact of the matter is we need a roof over our heads and we have a young family. We can't afford our own home yet so set depend on our renting ATM and will do what it takes to keep a roof over my kids heads.
    i woudn't want pictures of my bedroom and personal belongings being given for those purposes. That all seems a bit witch hunty. I mean, furnitue marks on the carpet....duh...how else would it get there?

I cannot think of anything else people lease and have to give photographic 'evidence' be it cars, commercial property, formal wear, whatever. It all comes across as paranoid, most people would assess for damage at the end and charge them for it or claim on their insurance.

Realistically the bank technically owns a lot of these homes, but they don't request photos.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (03-10-2013),SoThisIsLove  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We don't have a high turn over in our rental properties so only ever visit them every few years or so. I still say i love photos of our rental properties. We move around with work so rent all the time around Australia and photos are becoming the norm and I couldn't care less if they took photos to send to the owner.

Mummy of Max 2 from donor eggs from my lovely sister.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    They know about them. I was told when I moved in that the LL was fixing them and the dodgy front door- both were never fixed!
    I will make mention of it at tribunal if i get the opportunity but otherwise my dealings with these arses is just about over so all is good.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    That's rotten not to mention illegal! Hope you get it sorted at tribunal

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    We don't have a high turn over in our rental properties so only ever visit them every few years or so. I still say i love photos of our rental properties. We move around with work so rent all the time around Australia and photos are becoming the norm and I couldn't care less if they took photos to send to the owner.

So you wouldn't care if potentially some creep has photos of your bedroom, your children, and personal items?

What if some years later you stumble across a picture of your possessions or children on the internet that were taken during these inspections? How would you feel then?

I think privacy laws need a serious overhaul to account for the increased use of modern technology!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (04-10-2013),Oblena  (03-10-2013),SoThisIsLove  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seriously I don't. I don't over think it and I won't live my life in fear. It's just a photo for the land lord simple as that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    So you wouldn't care if potentially some creep has photos of your bedroom, your children, and personal items?

What if some years later you stumble across a picture of your possessions or children on the internet that were taken during these inspections? How would you feel then?

I think privacy laws need a serious overhaul to account for the increased use of modern technology!

But what about keys to the property? How do you know neighbours/tradesmen/the owner don't have a key to your place? Sometimes you have to trust people a bit more. Anyone can take a photo of you and your kids at the shops, on public transport, at the footy. Privacy laws can only go so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    But what about keys to the property? How do you know neighbours/tradesmen/the owner don't have a key to your place? Sometimes you have to trust people a bit more. Anyone can take a photo of you and your kids at the shops, on public transport, at the footy. Privacy laws can only go so far.
    Yes, unfortunately that happens. I've lived in a property where the owners lived in the house behind and seemed to think they were entitled to enter the property whenever we went out.

You are right that any one can potentially take a photo of you when you are out in the public arena. The major key difference here is that we are talking about photos being taken inside ones home, where privacy should be a given.

As a renter, you pay what is usually a ludicrous amount in rent. Surely that should entitle you to some privacy!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotdog View Post
    trust works both ways. There should be very strict privacy laws or the poor people who were filmed IN THE SHOWER would have no leg to stand on in a court of law and the landlords could have just said they were worried about the shower's cleanliness. I think it is really off that the OP had a photo of her dishes taken. That as absolutely nothing to do with the landlord or his/her property and is a massive invasion of privacy.

if quarterly photos of people's homes and belongings is becoming the norm the residential rental sector needs to get its act together big time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (03-10-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never rented but I have always found the inspection dance that renters have to go through just awful. My sister has had agents comment on mess....on a dining table.....in the middle of a room. I think it is just ridiculous to assume that a few toys or some homework or a craft project on a table suggests that someone needs to kept in check.

OP I can't say I blame you for feeling violated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracie's Mum View Post
    We always get photos sent of our rental with a report. I love seeing the photos, it gives me a visual of how the property is looking.
    It may be controversial but this... Our tenants where in the house for years it was my proof that the RE was actually inspecting, that the house was OK and I could double check if anything needed to be done.