+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Rent inspection- photos..*vent*

Am I the only tenant that is uncomfortable with general photos being sent to the owner? I fail to see why they would need photos of our personal belongings to ensure the property is being maintained. Isn't that covered by the periodic inspection report? Which I am now no longer getting a copy of because they have switched from carbon paper to an iPad, it's not hard to CC it to me is it? I can understand photos of items needing attention, but my sparkly clean sink with some dishes sitting inside it, a photo of my childrens bedroom (also clean with a few toys on the floor..it is school holidays!) and the laundry with a pile of dirty washing by the machine? In my opinion these things are not unreasonable and do not require the owner to have photographic 'evidence' (for lack of a better word).

FWIW I have called the Dept of Commerce and there is no current legislation regarding photos. And no we are not required to have a copy of the report which is silly..I use them as part of my references when we have to move!

I hate renting

2. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

MrsSG  (09-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm extremely glad that this is my absolute last year of renting EVER. I've hated every minute of living in my current house and am flabbergasted at the power that the landlords themselves have. We've had nothing but problems since we moved in and each time we report something not working they insist on coming over personally and I can tell they have been through the entire house (including bedroom) when they're meant to look at one small thing, such as the shower. It's incredibly invasive and I'm so happy to be done with it. (Admittedly my last landlord was amazing and left me in peace, I felt like the house was 'mine'. Different landlords/managers make the world of difference).

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I told the guy who did it that I would like a copy and he said that they don't send one to me. I have emailed the property manager asking her to send me a copy so I hope she does.

Our owner is ok, he gets things fixed as needed so I can't complain. The property manager is a nightmare though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are they general "room" photos or close up shots?

I would be fine with general room shots.

At least there is photographic proof that you've keep the place well, if theres a dispute or the inspection report is done incorrectly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My last rental I had this sane problem. I only found out they were taking photos because my mum was there once when the property manager turned up. I lost it big time!! I find it a massive invasion of my privacy. I would have been okay about it if they were honest and asked permission but they took photos of everything including photos of MY PHOTOS!!! I didn't know the landlords they could have been anyone and god knows why they need photos of every square inch of the house!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In Qld you do actually need the tenants consent when taking photos of personal belongings. A waiver is usually signed by tenants by during the sign up of the property

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As an owner I love seeing the inside of my property that I haven't seen for years. I couldn't care less about their belongings but find it really helpful to just get a visual on the place. I love agents that take photos.

Mummy of Max 2 from donor eggs from my lovely sister.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I Dont like the idea of someone photographing the inside of my house - are they legally allowed to do so? is it their right?

I would EMAIL the real estate specifically requesting a copy of the report - then you have documentation of when you requested it if they refuse/ ignore .

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think they should be taking photos of your bedrooms. We are owners of a rental property and we get sent through photos at rental inspections each quarter, but never of the bedrooms. They take one of front and backyards, lounge/dining, kitchen bathroom and laundry. Not for us to 'check up' on the tenants, but just to keep our peace of mind that the property is looked after. Not that we ever asked the real estate to do so, they just have always done it and sent them through. You should be entitled to a copy though. Honestly, our tenants are great and even if there is mess in the photos I really don't care. I don't look at the dishes or toys, I just look to see that overall the house itself looks ok. Can work in your favour too, as from some photos I have noticed things that could do with some upkeep and organised revamping. Renting is a pain though, always feel under scrutiny.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    As an owner I love seeing the inside of my property that I haven't seen for years. I couldn't care less about their belongings but find it really helpful to just get a visual on the place. I love agents that take photos.

Mummy of Max 2 from donor eggs from my lovely sister.
    Yeah but that property is someone elses home and u shouldnt be able to take pics of all their personal belongings. Talk about invasion of privacy.

And the pp that said photos of ur photos makes a good point. Most people have pics up all over their house.

If u really need to see the inside of your property, go to an inspection or wait till the tenant vacates.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app