+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When did ur toddler ditch the day sleep?

How old was your toddler when you knew it was time they ditch their day sleep? How did you go about it?
    my almost 3 yr old will still have a day sleep from 1/1.30-3pm but is up mucking around until 9.30pm when we put her to bed at normAl 7pm.
    We haven't tried not giving the day sleep yet. I'm hesitant to drop it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS turns 3 tomorrow and we are in the exact same situation. If he doesn't have a nap he ends up getting tired and grumpy and sometimes falls asleep on the couch around 5.30pm whilst I am still getting dinner ready. If he does have one then he's awake till 9.30pm. It's tricky!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dd1 turned 3 in June.ive been trying to get her to drop the day sleep for the last couple of months as, like yours, it's been taking her until 9.30 to fall asleep.

I've found it's not as easy as I thought! If we have a busy morning, there is nothing I can do to keep her awake in the afternoon, and then she'll be awake super late at night. If I do manage to keep her awake for a few days in a row, she'll fall asleep easily, at around 7.30. But as soon as she starts to get a bit tired, or we go swimming in the morning, she'll nap in the afternoon again, and then we're back to being up late again.

It's not as easy as just waking her up or not letting her fall asleep, she is such a deep sleeper, she can fall asleep sitting up or on the floor, and nothing wakes her.

In answer to your question, if your lo takes forever to fall asleep at night, then I think it's time to drop the sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have thought about giving her quiet time When she would usually nap as I have a baby who sleeps at same time and I don't wAnt him woken. So a DVD and books on the couch for an hour?
    Swimming doesn't even tire my dd out anymore
    I would think after a few days with no day nap she would tire out so I'm happy to let her sleep when she needs but I just don't think she needs it every day right now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you try reducing the nap time slightly? Perhaps just to an hour or even a 30 min power nap to see how your lo responds? My DS is almost 3 too and definitely needs his nap which is 1 to 2 hrs long or he has melt downs by dinner time. I personally feel its a bit early to drop all day sleeps at barely three years old, but each child is different. Reducing the nap time might rectify the bedtime issue

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 3 next week and he still has 2 - 3 hours over lunch time. He will miss it occasionally if we are out but he loses his mind by dinner time. He is in bed every night by 8pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My two girls had ditched it before their 2nd birthday. DS turn 2 next month and recently he went 5 days in a row without a nap, but has gone back to it again.
    When they're still awake after 9pm I know that it's sadly time to release it.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think each child is different. My DS2 is 2.5 and is starting to show that he doesn't need a nap anymore. He is harder to put to sleep at night if he naps during the day, and he's also sitting in his room playing during the day instead of napping.

I didn't give him a nap yesterday and he went straight to bed at 7pm without any issues (and slept in!).

If he has a big day, then I will try and give him a little nap, otherwise i'm just going to give him some quiet time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    Could you try reducing the nap time slightly? Perhaps just to an hour or even a 30 min power nap to see how your lo responds? My DS is almost 3 too and definitely needs his nap which is 1 to 2 hrs long or he has melt downs by dinner time. I personally feel its a bit early to drop all day sleeps at barely three years old, but each child is different. Reducing the nap time might rectify the bedtime issue
    I agree it seems too early to drop the day sleep. I will try a later nap but I try not to wake her as she gets super grumpy and stays that way for the rest of the day.
    Yesterday I was told she had a 20min nap at crèche, she was happy enough by dinner time. But was still up till 9.30pm mucking around. This morning she was up at 7 refused to be quiet and watch DVD. I'm sure she will crash and burn today. It's such a conflicting thing to do!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS is 3 in 3 weeks and about 2-3 months ago I noticed the same thing , he usually napped from 1-3 but suddenly would not go to sleep until 9.30-10, so now unless I know we are going out that night or he has had a really busy day he goes to bed at 7.30 ( takes literally 2 minutes to get to sleep!) and wakes up at 7.30-8am