+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice about ear infections

Hi all, I need some advice from bubhubbers regarding recurrent ear infections.

My 7mth old DD has had 8 ear infections from the age of 12 weeks and has had 4 different types of oral antibiotics & 2 different types of antibiotic ear drops. Poor little girl has dealt with this for more than half her life and she doesn't know what normal is.

We are booked into see an ENT however I was wondering if this sounds like we may only need grommets or could it be something worse? What is the earliest age that they will do grommets?

I am really worried that these infections maybe doing damage to her ear drums and there could be hearing loss.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD went through exactly the same thing. First thing is make sure you are adding a pro biotic to her bottles just to help her tummy after having so many aantibiotics. Your bub needs to have a hearing screen with an audiologist - try and get it done before you see the ENT. DD had her hearing screen just shy of 11 months which showed she had significant hearing loss due to the build up of fluid in her ears. We saw the ENT shortly after that and she had grommets put in 1 week after her first birthday. We went private so only had a one week wait from seeing the surgeon until she was admitted to hospital

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like Chronic ear infections for which generally oral antibiotics don't work. I us3d to work in the remote bush and the indigenous kids always had ear infections. We tell them to use tissue spears ( Google it but the are rolled up tissues that are long like a spear that are gently inserted into the ear and left for a minute to soak up the pus. Break the tip of the end so not to pointy). This was done 2- 3 times a day before esrdrops which where given four times a day for like 3 months. This was the guideline for chronic ear ( CSOM). Not sure what advice you've been given already. Grommets were not used heaps in the bush kids so they might just do that instead.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your response ladies. We have got our appointment in less than two weeks do not enough time for hearing tests. In the public system there isn't any place left till Xmas/new year but will suggest it to the ENT if he doesn't. I will put the probiotic on the formula. I just wish the drs would tell you this stuff.

I googled that OCEM & sounds exactly like what she has. We have been given drops & the dr said that it's the stuff that is given to children in distant rural areas here is hoping she gets some relief.