+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Probably because you pay a bomb over there. Epi costs lots of money, right?

No public health system to speak of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Just watched the business of being born. Such a great documentary! But so scary (all that hospital stuff & the things coming out of medical staff's mouths - holy hell!). I had my baby in a private hospital in Sydney and it was an amazing experience. I feel sorry for women who are forced or guilted into doing things a certain way for reasons that have nothing to do with what's really best for them or their baby.

Loved watching the women grabbing their babies in the home births. That made me cry a couple of times. But maybe that's just because I'm 9 months pregnant and emotional
    How did you get a hold of that documentary. Ive been looking for it for ages!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I watched it on you tube. Such an eye opener!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Probably because you pay a bomb over there. Epi costs lots of money, right?

No public health system to speak of.
    Yes. for my Step daughter it cost her $2000 for the epidural, $8000 to give birth and as she couldn't pay it upfront, it was taken from her mums wage as a weekly payment.. as she was 19 at the time and dependent on mum...

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I were in America and pregnant I would be making a beeline for The Farm in Tenessee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    If I were in America and pregnant I would be making a beeline for The Farm in Tenessee.
    Me too, Tildy!
    My sister is currently living in New York, I think she should get pregnant just so she can go to the farm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I've also heard that it is unusual for babies to have lots of immediate skin to skin after birth, often they are wiped over, given ointment in their eyes, hatted and wrapped before going to mum.

So sad that many mums miss out on that moment where a squishy newbie is suddenly in your arms and on your chest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been thinking the exact same thing. I love birth/baby shows and couldn't believe how different it seems in the US. I was shocked on 16 and pregnant how quick they were to induce and how it's just a given that they'll get an epi. I'm def glad to be an Aussie birthing in Australia that's for sure!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The medicalisation of birth in the US is really alarming. From memory it has not had a positive outcome on mortality rates. Will see if I can find where I read that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/c...alth-in-the-us

"It's more dangerous to give birth in the United States than in 49 other countries. African-American women are at almost four times greater risk than Caucasian women. A safe pregnancy is a human right for every woman regardless of race or income."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

bbbump  (11-11-2013)