+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default One of THOSE mothers

Ok so today I realised I have become one of THOSE mothers.

I was at the park this morning for a play date with a group of friends and their kids when DD1 needed to go to the toilet. It wasn't close by and is renowned for drug users leaving paraphernalia so I wanted to check it out before she went in. We were then getting an icy pole as it was a hot day.

She never waits for me no matter what I say, so she took off up a hill. DS was wondering around like he always does trying to keep up while DD2 was staying put at the bottom of the hill asking question after question about what we were doing (I'd told her many times), what about our stuff, why are we going there etc etc. and the baby was in meltdown wanting a feed.

I found myself screaming at DD2 to move it or she'd be in trouble. I felt every eye on me. I wished the ground would swallow me up.

So there I was, an overwrought shouty mother on the 3rd day of school holidays.
    I used to run high court appeals and advise top 500 companies on litigation and float strategies. Now I can't even get a 4 year old to hustle for an icy pole.

Anyone else want to share a school holiday moment to make me feel better?

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Amira  (02-10-2013),Ashram  (02-10-2013),babycart  (02-10-2013),Boobycino  (02-10-2013),callmedragon22  (02-10-2013),JR03  (02-10-2013),Mokeybear  (02-10-2013),mrsoptomistic  (02-10-2013),veggiemama  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No school holiday moments for me but honesty that is so incredibly normal! You have 4 kids!! We can't be super human all the time

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sounds like a bad moment. We all have them.

I got cranky with the kids because I took them to the movies and I was trying to juggle everything in my arms (food, bag, popcorn, another bag of swimming gear etc), and SS7 and DS7 were getting a slushie. I explained how it worked and how to get it in their cups, but they didn't listen very well and got slushie everywhere. I was tired and had no where to sit my things close by so I could help clean up the mess, and the floor at near the sluchie machine was already covered with ickyness. I had to try and clean up the mess, and them and help them fill the cups whilst holding everything and running late for the movie.

Luckily I recovered and so did they.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its better that you raise your voice to get them moving than to lose one of the kids because they've walked off! There will always be people who judge you for raising your voice, for not raising your voice, for coercing, for being strict - you've just got to trust yourself as YOU and only you are their mum and know what they need in the given situation.
    I used to laugh about work because I managed people who were at times like kids, and now I get to do it for real but get to reap the benefits of watching the little one learn and grow.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Seraphinite For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (02-10-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I remember going to pick up DS from child care one day. It had been raining for a few days so the kids had had lots of indoor time and were all a bit, um, rowdy? They had also combined the rooms as it was getting closer to closing time. I walked into the room of what seemed like 30 2-5 year olds running amok. The carers all had it in hand but I said to the group leader something along the lines of "at work I lead meetings with senior executives and police inspectors, I prepare documentation and reports for these people, implement working strategies to manage projects [etc] without batting an eyelid but this, this would scare the bejeezes out of me!"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (02-10-2013),~ElectricPink~  (03-10-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    High court appeal....*pffft*...walk in the park, on account of the absence of children (of course I have no knowledge of how a high court appeal might look). Kids are just another kettle of fish.

This morning we were heading home from holidays. DH had left yesterday for a work thing, so I had to cart everything down 3 flights of stairs to the car, take out the rubbish from the unit - all up about 4-5 trips up and down the nearly 4 year old in toe. All good, shut the boot, DD and I head in to the cafe for breakfast. I am attempting to enjoy my baked eggs and chorizo and dd is refusing to eat her scrambled eggs, then she is on the floor, then when I go to pay she starts running around in circles (and I'm having visions of her wearing a coffee) and then we head to the toilets before the car trip, she decides to do dropsies so I look like I am dragging her through the cafe, the she refused to do a wee just to spite me (she told me she didn't do a wee because I was mean). I have one child. @Sonja , you have 4....you are a freakin' legend for even getting out the door.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

sjay  (02-10-2013),Sonja  (02-10-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I yelled yesterday because they were fighting (for the millionth time that day) over their Maccas lunch of all things! Apparently DS2 drank some of DS1's pop top water..I lost it! I was seriously looking forward to these school holidays and I am over them fighting already

14. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Don't worry, you aren't alone. I'm sick, tired, and cranky and my kids have been driving me insane all afternoon.

I have a house to pack, a bond clean to do, an unreasonable real estate to deal with and all the kids want to is fight and scream and drive me batsh!t crazy!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @headoverfeet that's what gets me how you do something nice for them and they still manage to fight. We took the kids to a beach park here recently and got the kids ice creams and all DD2 did was whinge that it was too cold. It's a freaking ice cream of course it's cold!!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (03-10-2013),tatia&shura  (03-10-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Don't worry, you aren't alone. I'm sick, tired, and cranky and my kids have been driving me insane all afternoon.

I have a house to pack, a bond clean to do, an unreasonable real estate to deal with and all the kids want to is fight and scream and drive me batsh!t crazy!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yep, I'm dealing with a re-inspection tomorrow because..wait for it..my walls needed washing apparently everyone of my friends was shocked to hear they requested this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    @headoverfeet that's what gets me how you do something nice for them and they still manage to fight. We took the kids to a beach park here recently and got the kids ice creams and all DD2 did was whinge that it was too cold. It's a freaking ice cream of course it's cold!!
    Yep