+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Glandular Fever - any advice?

Hi, I had blood tests recently & went back for results today. GP said I had tested positive for glandular fever. I had a miscarriage about 5 weeks ago & noticed my glands were swollen around the same time & I assumed it was because of that so I was a bit taken aback & didn't really ask any questions. All my GP said was that I'd had it in the last couple of months & not to do too much/rest as best I can & not to worry because most people get it at some point in their lives. For those that have had it, have you any other advice/info? Any tips for helping to get over it/regain your strength? Can it affect getting pregnant? I'm now wondering if it had anything to do with my miscarriage

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had glandular for the first half of last year and unfortunately our daughter was stillborn at 20 weeks in December (conceived in July when glandular may have been slightly lurking but pretty much gone). I asked about it effecting that pregnancy or others and was told by multiple drs that glandular does not effect pregnancy, so if you're at the tail end of it I am sure you are more than fine to ttc and really think it wasn't the cause of your miscarriage.

As far as getting through it, really just time and lots and lots of rest. Try to eat as healthy as possible with lots of fresh fruit and veg. If you have a juicer that is ideal, if not then I made a fresh fruit smoothie every morning. No strenuous exercise, it's pretty much just all about resting as much as possible to let your body recover. I was diagnosed Jan 2012 (the beginning of it) and I think didn't really start feeling like myself again until May/June 2012.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

jude15  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I had just been diagnosed with glandular fever and a week later found out I was pregnant with DS3. I was told not to worry by my dr, just to ensure I get enough rest.

DS3 is 16 weeks old today

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

jude15  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There really is nothing you can do but rest. I also found acupuncture and vitamin B12 injections to be awesome for giving me more energy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

jude15  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi HollyGolightly81 - I am so sorry for your loss Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. It's definitely good to hear that it doesn't affect pregnancy. I don't have a juicer but may invest in one & will try to eat a bit healthier too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi peanutmonkey - thanks for replying & congrats on DS3! MummaOj - thanks for the advice. How did you arrange to get the vitamin B12 injections?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We don't have a juicer either, it was recommended by my GP and a friend as a way to guarantee I was getting more fresh veggies but I couldn't be bothered as I thought it would be something I may use at the time but then it'd get put away and wasted. I just stuck to berry, kiwi and spinach smoothies with my hand blender which I'm sure are just as good!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

jude15  (03-10-2013)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I saw a naturopath/nutritionist. Ate healthily, took vitamins and tried to get enough sleep. Sorry to hear, glandular fever is unpleasant

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

jude15  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't have a hand blender either I reckon that would be cheaper to buy than a juicer tho! And would be handier to have for me. Thanks Witwicky - may try a naturopath down the track if I'm not getting any better. And thanks for the hugs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A hand blender is definitely worth it, I use mine all the time and they're fairly cheap now, worth it I think!

Rest up!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

jude15  (03-10-2013)