+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Christmas menu? Should we start....

Few threads have started so I thought we could start this! What's normal at your house! I've never 'hosted' Christmas. This will be my first so could you experienced mummy & daddies give me some tips!

It's not long 😁 83 days to go🎅🎄🎁!!!!

Idammed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Few threads have started so I thought we could start this! What's normal at your house! I've never 'hosted' Christmas. This will be my first so could you experienced mummy & daddies give me some tips!

It's not long ������ 83 days to go���������������� ��!!!!

Idammed

83 days. Noooooooooo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our family does a roast with all the trimmings, a few salads and desserts depending on numbers. Seafood on Boxing Day.

My in laws do the opposite seafood on Xmas and roast on Boxing Day.

Popular-
    Roast chook or lamb
    Roast vege
    Wombok salad
    Sweet potato salad
    Potato salad (this all depends on numbers)
    Pavlova
    Trifle
    Sometimes pumpkin pie

I prefer a hot lunch on Christmas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I usually do
    Slow cooked turkey with pine but stuffing
    Pork roast with crackling
    Roast veg
    Potato salad with bacon and egg
    Green salad
    Seafood skewers
    Atlantic salmon
    Fresh prawns with lemon

Desert is usually
    Mini pavlova
    Mini Christmas pudding
    Brownies with a Santa strawberry hat
    Reindeer cupcakes
    I have also made Christmas ice cream in the shape of 3d trees
    Last edited by My Beloved Ones; 02-10-2013 at 13:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our menu usually starts with

Chocolate covered nuts, Xmas biscuits and egg nog for a morning tea

Then lunch is
    Glazed leg ham
    Roast lamb
    Roast pork or chicken

Roast veges- potato, pumpkin, onion, carrot, some greens.

Desert is Xmas pudding with brandy custard and homemade chocolate mousse (my speciality)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have christmas each year at my parents house, so my mum does pretty much all the lunch preparation (happily, she enjoys it).

The usual stuff we feast on for lunch:

- Freshly shucked oysters with lemon wedges
    - A huge turkey breast roll which is wrapped in prosciutto and baked with a cranberry/orange juice glaze
    - Loads of fresh prawns
    - Macadamia, avocado and mango salad
    - baby potatoes with sour cream & chives

We are usually incredibly full after all this, and none of us are big on dessert. There's usually something sweet on offer, but between my egg allergy and my mum's gluten intolerance it's not something we go all out on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our last few Christmas lunches have been so varied. One with my immediate family - all 20 odd of them.
    That's Chinese for Christmas Eve dinner, then chocolates and Baileys until the little ones are finally asleep so Santa can visit.
    Then Lunch is pork roast, roast chickens, a roast beef and prawns. Sometimes oysters to start. Salads:
    Watermelon and Feta (divine, and so festive with the reddy pink watermelon and the green shallots)
    Egg bacon and potato salad
    Devolved eggs
    Green salad - pear, walnut etc
    Then plum pudding and a second option for dessert - usually trifle.
    There's always cheese and dips, candy dishes, fresh fruit, little chocolate tree things my grandma makes as centre pieces floating around that are grazed on all day.

When it was the two of us it was a late champagne brunch, croissants, fresh fruit etc and then we grazed on cheese and dip through the afternoon and had a mini pork roast for dinner.

Last year it was us and a while heap of friends (RAAF posting in Darwin, it was hard for a lot of us to go back to families for Christmas) so we just ate and ate.
    Prawns, dip, soooo much cheese. That did us for a few hours.
    Then roast chickens, hot and cold.
    Pork.
    More prawns, loads of salads etc
    One of the girls made a Christmas tree out if cut up fruits, there was cheesecake.
    Loads of beer and champagne.

I Loooooooooveeeee Christmas! Just can't wait.
    We're doing this year with DH's very small family and they have different European traditions. I think they make more of a big deal out of Christmas Eve than Christmas Day, with traditional German dinner in Christmas Eve and then a BBQ breakfast at the beach on Christmas Day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh boy its nearly here!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    We hosted late lunch early dinner last year for a few family members and friends who didn't have family around, about 25-30 people all up. We cooked up a couple small roasts including pork, chicken and beef (they really were small) and asked most people to bring their speciality dish, whether it was a salad, pie, or stew, it didn't matter.

We had a little bit of food left over, not loads, and everyone had a great time. It was more relaxed than every other Christmas day.

Instead of buying for everyone we asked that people only buy presents for the kids and 1 gender specific present to the set agreed upon value for adults. At the end of the night ladies take a ladies present, men a mens present, no one got left out.

everyone had such a good time, it is being repeated again this year at someone elses house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had Christmas lunch at my place with 20+ people.

The menu comprised of 3 dishes for each course.

Entree: cold prawns, nuts, and a few other things bickies and dip (lollies for the kids, cherries etc)

Main: roast turkey with pine nut stuffing, roast beef with tomatoes and a cold ham on the bone. Also had roast potatoes, ceasar salad etc

Dessert: I made a chocloate ripple log cake, pavlova and traditional pudding with cream and icecream

I have the menu, shopping list, the 'plan' of what to make when (sime can be done in advance) and when to put things in the oven etc. If anyone is interested pm me and I'll forward it when I get home - should be easily customisable to change dishes :-) everyone complimented us on what a great meal/day. Also made it easy for me to "outsorce" bits to family and friends who wanted to help - ie: my sister made the ceasar salads etc - handy when you need fridge space!