Default which should i buy - bassinet or cot

You said in your must have products article that you need a cot or bassinet.
    My wife and i have a little boy due in late November and we are deciding between these options. We can get a Cot as part of a baby room furniture pack so it seems like a good deal, but the in mother in law swears by a bassinet.

It seems like the cot will last longer, so should we bother with a bassinet?

Thank You.

Hi Timmuller,

Bassinets are convenient; they don’t take up much space and are easily placed in your bedroom beside your bed. However, babies grow out of bassinets quickly. Generally bassinets shouldn't be used once your baby can roll over or pull themselves up (or over) the side of the bassinet - usually around four to six months of age.

There’s no Australian standard specifically for bassinets – though there is one now in development – so CHOICE has developed a test method based on various existing Australian standards for children’s products (such as cots). In particular, we incorporate a test from the standard for portable cots, involving the need for breathable zones around the base of the sleeping zone zones (in case the baby manages to roll face first against the edge). We find many bassinets fail key parts of our test, though we have found a few models to recommend.

A cot will last you longer, can be used from day one and many of them can convert to a junior bed later on, which means you'll get several years use. They've been subject to a mandatory standard since 1998 so we find most of them pass the key safety tests. However they are bigger and may be inconvenient for those crucial first six to 12 months when you want the baby sleeping in your bedroom.

The furniture package deal sounds like a good option as you'll need a cot eventually anyway. If I was in your position, and could fit the cot into my bedroom, then I'd probably pass on a bassinet and just use the cot.

Check out our reviews of bassinets and cots for recommended models.