+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Is 4 bfs enough for 8 month old?

Hi, daylight savings us starting for most of us this weekend and since her routine (not strict) is going to be mucked up I was hoping to stretch her feeds to 4 hourly so therefore only 4 feeds a day.

Dd is 8 months, solids 3 times a day (sometimes eats good, other times not interested), no night feeds. Will this be enough or should I keep feeding around 3 hours? I know she can go 4 hours but I usually try and cram in feeds so I know she doesn't need them at night.

Added this in... Also when did you switch to offering solids first? Too soon?
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 02-10-2013 at 09:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ive know some bubs that got by on 4 bfs per day at that age but that was child led not mother initiated so they were clearly getting enough from those feeds - and both would occasionally wake for a night feed or two as well! Just keep in mind that breast milk is their main source of nutrition for the first year of life so you might want to hold off on cutting down.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (02-10-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would give it a try. Both of mine were on 4 feeds by then. They will let you know by waking up in the night if it's not enough!

My BF 10 month old DD still has 4 feeds a day and a feed before solids. I tried dropping a feed recently and she started waking hungry, so have gone back to 4. I'll try again in a month or so.

I guess it partly depends on if/when you want to wean. I will wean at 12 months so we are slowly working towards that. But as PP said until around that time milk should be their main source of nutrition.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd still had 12 feeds at 12 months, so 4 feeds seems like too few to me.

i think if you have to 'stretch' her feeds, you might be moving too fast. Can you just follow her lead? My kids' (and my own) food and drink isn't spaced evenly over the day, you might find she naturally begins to drop feeds herself without you doing anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I would give it a try. Both of mine were on 4 feeds by then. They will let you know by waking up in the night if it's not enough!

My BF 10 month old DD still has 4 feeds a day and a feed before solids. I tried dropping a feed recently and she started waking hungry, so have gone back to 4. I'll try again in a month or so.

I guess it partly depends on if/when you want to wean. I will wean at 12 months so we are slowly working towards that. But as PP said until around that time milk should be their main source of nutrition.
    Thank you for this advice I am returning to work at 12 months to so will probably wean then, and didn't want dd on 5 feeds at that stage as it might be a bit traumatic for us both , wanted to start gently cutting back

Save our sleep routine (I don't actually follow it but was looking for a rough guide) indicated 4 feeds at 4 hourly, but I just wasn't sure if anyone had successfully did this with breast feeding. My wording was a little off by using the term "Stretch". She does go 4 hours easily without feeding during the day, I just give it to her more often as I was just worried about the impact at night
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 02-10-2013 at 11:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Many kids have changes to their sleep patterns around 8 / 9 months, so if that happens don't freak out too much. It often resolves itself again.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for tip

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update: Well 4 feeds a day seem to be enough for my dd lol. Yesterday I fed her 4 hourly no dramas wish I'd tried it sooner makes fitting feeds around naps much easier!

ETA: just wanted to add by feeding 4 hourly I am "flexible" just using it a rough guide, same with timing for naps and bed, don't want to give wrong impressions!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 04-10-2013 at 08:49.