+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 90 of 90
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    25
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    But if it is sold at schools, how do you know your kids aren't buying it?
    Fair point. U also can't stop them sharing other kids soft drinks.
    My sil school where she works does not sell soft drinks lollies chocolate bars or Crisps. Some schools enforce their own healthy eating. Good on them.
    however the staff have full access to vending machines in staff rooms

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think some of the issue goes beyond lack of knowledge, or even lazy parenting. Buying a packet of HB pies for $3.50 to feed a family of 4 is much cheaper than a $15 tray of lean steak and $5 worth of vegies. It's cheaper to buy junk from the supermarket than it is to buy meat and fruit and veg, and that's nuts.
    Yes, there is something very wrong when we can buy food covered in plastic which is terrible for the environment and bad for our health for less than we can to make a meal. I'm really not sure exactly what can be done. These foods already have a tax on them, and it is still cheaper for the most part.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

    Ffrenchknickers  (04-10-2013)

  4. #83
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Fair point. U also can't stop them sharing other kids soft drinks.
    My sil school where she works does not sell soft drinks lollies chocolate bars or Crisps. Some schools enforce their own healthy eating. Good on them.
    however the staff have full access to vending machines in staff rooms
    I'm a school teacher, and pretty sure soft drinks are banned in primary schools, along with lollies, chocolates and other rubbish. Students can buy soft drinks and lollies in high school. I'm in nsw so not sure about other states.

  5. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,220
    Thanks
    1,254
    Thanked
    1,085
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No softdrinks at our primary school. High school they have so much rubbish in the canteen. I drank nothing but cans of coke all through my teen life and now all my molars are all broken and full of fillings.

  6. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    It's not that I want the government to be more involved in what parents feed children, it's that I think food at tuckshops should provide only quality, nutritious food for children. Primary school age is where children are getting feeding habits that will set them up for life. So whilst it's not practical, feasible or realistic to control what children eat at home, when they are at school examples and standards should be set.

    I don't think anyone has the answer to 'solving' obesity/childhood obesity but surely providing access to only quality food at school would be a set in the right direction. It would be just one piece of the puzzle (I think a PP said that). Whilst we can't 'ban' all junk food, we could apply the 80/20 rule and work out what the worst culprits are and tackle those. I would hazard a guess that soft drink is up there along with fried, fatty foods.

    I don't think high school tuck shops should be selling soft drink either. I realise there's not much you can do if someone buys something out of school but the standards for what is bought in school should be set high.
    I totally get where you are coming from, and in a lot of ways I agree. Obesity is becoming a huge problem, and generally I don't feel it's a good move for canteens to be selling crap.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is that banning soft drink and junk from canteens will change nothing until we can change what children eat at home. The problem is so much bigger than that.

    As far as the general discussion about some wanting all junk food banned from supermarkets - it's a shame everyone has to be punished. Our family eats lots of healthy food and a balanced diet.... and when I go shopping I do buy a few junk food items. Like today, I bought a 24 pack of coke cans (the kids aren't allowed coke and I only bought them bc they were half price). I bought some wagon wheels and Deli Rock chips. I should have the right to buy them bc they are 'sometimes' foods in our house. Banning food just makes it taboo and children want it more imo.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (03-10-2013),unsullied  (03-10-2013)

  8. #86
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked
    100
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

    As far as the general discussion about some wanting all junk food banned from supermarkets - it's a shame everyone has to be punished. .
    I know what you mean, it's too Big Brother banning all junk food, but in saying that something extreme has to be done. We have a massive childhood obesity epidemic in Australia and it's only getting bigger, pardon the pun. I used to think it was about education, but now pretty much everyone knows they shouldn't give their kids fruit loops for breakfast, but they still continue to do so.. I can't see any other option than Government intervention.

  9. #87
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have an issue with a ban although soft drinks aren't available at ds's school and some hospitals no longer have vending machines which is a good thing. We don't drink soft drinks much at all but I don't think it's very fair if we have to pay more for the odd can of soft drink we may feel like on the odd occasion. Thankfully we are very sugar conscious and our ds knows that soft drinks/lollies contain too much sugar and isn't interested in consuming them. I think education for parents would be a more beneficial approach as well as education in the school classrooms.

  10. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unsullied View Post
    I know what you mean, it's too Big Brother banning all junk food, but in saying that something extreme has to be done. We have a massive childhood obesity epidemic in Australia and it's only getting bigger, pardon the pun. I used to think it was about education, but now pretty much everyone knows they shouldn't give their kids fruit loops for breakfast, but they still continue to do so.. I can't see any other option than Government intervention.
    Some people still don't know and honestly, I'd rather a child came to school after eating fruit loops than nothing at all! A lot of students at my school come to school with an empty stomach.

  11. #89
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There is already a tax on junk food (GST) which you will not find on fresh, healthy food. Personally, I don't even think I would have too much of an issue if the tax on it was a little higher but only if this went to improving health/education services. I do think bad food is supposed to be (as my DS calls it) 'sometimes food' but the cost doesn't always reflect this. Often it is cheaper to buy packaged snacks than a kilo of apples and cheaper to buy takeaway or packaged meals than cook a healthy one packed full of veges.

    i'm just not sure that it's the cost that prohibits many Australians from eating a balanced diet so much as marketing (which will never change), food addiction, and lack of food education.

    We have the highest rates of bowel cancer in the world. This is considered a Western disease and a lot of cases are preventable we know this, but we still refuse to change.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

    Stiflers Mom  (04-10-2013)

  13. #90
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Haunted House
    Posts
    10,891
    Thanks
    1,538
    Thanked
    1,568
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    It's not that I want the government to be more involved in what parents feed children, it's that I think food at tuckshops should provide only quality, nutritious food for children. Primary school age is where children are getting feeding habits that will set them up for life. So whilst it's not practical, feasible or realistic to control what children eat at home, when they are at school examples and standards should be set.

    I don't think anyone has the answer to 'solving' obesity/childhood obesity but surely providing access to only quality food at school would be a set in the right direction. It would be just one piece of the puzzle (I think a PP said that). Whilst we can't 'ban' all junk food, we could apply the 80/20 rule and work out what the worst culprits are and tackle those. I would hazard a guess that soft drink is up there along with fried, fatty foods.

    I don't think high school tuck shops should be selling soft drink either. I realise there's not much you can do if someone buys something out of school but the standards for what is bought in school should be set high.
    I agree completely.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Who's the tough one?
    By Cue in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 13-06-2013, 00:02
  2. it's all getting a bit tough
    By Little Miss Muffet in forum Postnatal depression
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-05-2013, 12:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
Carmels Beauty Secrets
An online beauty and wellness site which offers simple and effective time saving methods and tips which help you look younger for longer.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!