+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There is diddly squat anywhere in the news about the government doing this. It is health bodies and a group called The Rethink Sugary Drinks Forum who are calling on the federal government to do this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ehh. My kidlets get milk, water, watered down juice and only when we go out to dinner do they get the odd cup of soft drink.
    I've never seen a primary school that sells soft drink anyway.

Honestly don't think it'll make a difference in sales. People will still buy it. Just like try do cigarettes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    There is diddly squat anywhere in the news about the government doing this. It is health bodies and a group called The Rethink Sugary Drinks Forum who are calling on the federal government to do this.
    It's still worth discussing though isn't it?

Most of us either have - or will have - school aged children and childhood obesity is a very real concern.

Discussing ways to combat that can't be a bad thing can it? I mean a large part of the role of a lobby group or interest group is to start a 'national' discussion about issues and make people think about where they stand.
    Last edited by NancyBlackett; 02-10-2013 at 16:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As pp have said soft drinks are already banned in schools. Why hospitals I wonder? When my child has been sick in hospital a coke was a godsend as you can't bring coffee onto the children's ward and I hadn't slept in going on 3 days at times.

It really is a lead by example thing with kids. Coke is the number 1 item sold in shopping centres. Therefore a large majority of the population are consuming soft drinks and even if you don't give your child soft drink if you have it yourself you are setting the product up to be very desirable and a symbol of being a grown up. Thus your child is more than likely to consume it later in life even if they don't do it now. Ultimately becoming addicted to the caffeine and or sugar combo.

I really do believe soft drink is one of the leading causes of obesity. Not sure what can be done though.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As far as I am aware it is already banned in WA schools, well it was when I did canteen training a few months ago. I'm all for more regulation of it in other settings and the price increase

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I fully support it. I'd like to see the 20% they make off soft drinks used to decrease (eg) the price of bottled water.

I'd support a similar tax on most junk foods- lollies, chips, fatty biscuits, fast foods etc etc on condition the money was used to subsidise healthy food such as fresh fruit and veg.

I do agree the 20% probably won't make much of a difference though. Bottles of soft drink at Coles/ woollies can go for less than $1. That's cheaper than supermarket brand milk!

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    It's still worth discussing though isn't it?

Most of us either have - or will have - school aged children and childhood obesity is a very real concern.

Discussing ways to combat that can't be a bad thing can it? I mean a large part of the role of a lobby group or interest group is to start a 'national' discussion about issues and make people think about where they stand.
    Sure but it depends on the way it is discussed. It's framed in a negative way when it is centered around the government being a nanny state rather than looking at who is actually calling for it; Cancer Council, Heart Foundation, Diabetes Australia; and acknowledging that they know what they are talking about.

I don't know, I just think it is poor reporting on the part of the place the OP heard the news story for them to give the impression that it is something the government is planning.

ETA: Anyhoo, the group in question has an informative site about the topic

http://www.rethinksugarydrink.org.au/
    Last edited by Ana Gram; 02-10-2013 at 16:59.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The OP is still posed in a 'what do you think?' manner. It doesn't contain negative connotations.

Obviously some posters have made negative comments, but that is based on their view, not how the OP or the initial news report was posed.

In regards to the tax, the massive increase in the tax on RTDs didn't make a dent in teenage binge drinking.

I also have this vague recollection about the increase in the price of chocolate at some stage and while there was an initial outcry people are still buying the chocolate in question.

If people want to consume something - especially if they are addicted - they will.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

delirium  (02-10-2013),Stiflers Mom  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    And yeah I can see the point in banning them from High schools too.
    !
    When I was in high school they took away the vending machines and soft drinks.

What ended up happening was the coke drinkers would all stop at the convenient store on the way to school and pick up a 2L bottle for $3 and drink that all day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unsullied View Post
    There is zero fluoride in bottled water, kids need fluoride to stop tooth decay. The huge increase in kids drinking bottled water is partially responsible for the huge increases in childhood tooth decay. So whilst you may think tap water is 'gross' it is stopping your kids teeth falling out.
    Not everyone believes that fluoride is something that we should be drinking. I honestly don't give a crap either way, but really... if you're at a canteen buying a drink, tap water is not what you're going to pay for (you'd go to the bubblers for that) so it's kind of beside the point.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (02-10-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (02-10-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast