+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it is a great idea but then again it wouldn't really affect us. We don't let our kids drink it, it is already not allowed at their school and the only soft drink we but is a bottle of Pepsi for DH each week and lemonade at Christmas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I just heard on the news the government is considering tough new rules to decrease the amount of soda/soft drink children have:
    - banning soft drink at schools/community sports centres/hospitals
    - a 20% price rise

What do you think?
    Excellent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I agree with Nancy. I don't support a nanny state. I've never come across a primary school that sells soft drink, and high school? well by then then often have their own money and some autonomy and can buy it at the supermarket or a corner store anyway. My kids rarely have soft drink, they drink water, milk and watered down juice.

As to the 20% increase - I'm rather skeptical on the agenda of that. I highly suspect it will become a tax of sorts like they put on cigarettes.... which goes to the govt. This suggestion will just become a revenue raiser and let's be honest, the govt won't put it into health programs. As a smoker I actually accept the taxes (which make up about 3/4 of the cost now) but I want to see it put into free quit smoking and real tangible support, not just taken and put in the coffers as a revenue raiser.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Bergeron  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    I don't like living in a nanny state.
    Neither do I, but unfortunately parents have demonstrated over the years that they will continue to feed their kids crap irrespective of how much the government tries to educate and 'guide' them. We know so much more about nutrition and diet than we did 20 years ago, yet take a walk down the cereal aisle in your local supermarket, it's still the same old crap they were selling 2 decades ago. Parents know they shouldn't be giving their kids coca pops & fruit loops for breakfast yet continue to do so. Mystifying. So as much as I hate seeing the Government go all Orwellian on us, it seems as though they have no choice. If we're not going to parent responsibily then they will have to do it for us.
    Last edited by unsullied; 02-10-2013 at 10:59.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unsullied For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (02-10-2013),Elijahs Mum  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Doesn't bother me. My kids won't drink anything but milk or water anyway. Those who really want it will still buy it. How about the government stop banning games at school like tigi, cartwheels etc and let some kids do something outside instead of not being allowed to do anything and sitting inside playing gadgets.??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    A price hike is stupid. How about REDUCE the cost of bottled water instead?

I do agree with no soft drink at schools though. Particularly primary schools. Our school doesn't sell coke or anything, but sells those "LOL" drinks which I think are carbonated "fruit drinks,"... so pretty much soft drink.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (02-10-2013),River Song  (02-10-2013),smeksyluvzherbabys  (02-10-2013),snowqu33n  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    Doesn't bother me. My kids won't drink anything but milk or water anyway. Those who really want it will still buy it. How about the government stop banning games at school like tigi, cartwheels etc and let some kids do something outside instead of not being allowed to do anything and sitting inside playing gadgets.??
    It's the schools that ban these things to avoid litigation from parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    A price hike is stupid. How about REDUCE the cost of bottled water instead?

I do agree with no soft drink at schools though. Particularly primary schools. Our school doesn't sell coke or anything, but sells those "LOL" drinks which I think are carbonated "fruit drinks,"... so pretty much soft drink.
    We need to discourage kids from drinking bottled water and encourage them to drink tap water instead.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unsullied For This Useful Post:

Meg2  (03-10-2013),VicPark  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unsullied View Post
    We need to discourage kids from drinking bottled water and encourage them to drink tap water instead.
    Why? Tap water is gross. Would rather my child drink bottled or filtered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by unsullied View Post
    There is zero fluoride in bottled water, kids need fluoride to stop tooth decay. The huge increase in kids drinking bottled water is partially responsible for the huge increases in childhood tooth decay. So whilst you may think tap water is 'gross' it is stopping your kids teeth falling out.
    Last edited by unsullied; 02-10-2013 at 16:12.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast