+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tadpoles View Post
    I think banning it in schools is a good idea but not hospitals. I was told by the ultrasound tech to go drink soft drink so she could get the pictures she needed and I'm sure others have had it for other things.

Adults should be able to make their own decisions regarding soft drink and children should be educated about it so they can make the right decision too.

Everything in moderation.

Sent from my telecommunications device.
    Plus as a nurse, I can't tell you how many times coke has saved my patient from needing a new nasogastric tube put down, that stuff unblocks every thing.
    On a serious note I agree, adults should be able to make their own decision and children should be educated but I whole heartedly agree with a tax on soft drinks and fast food. Obesity related illness is eating away at a lot of hospital funding these days and its completely preventable.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (02-10-2013),MummyBic  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be more in favour of a requirement to provide healthy alternatives at these venues (both food and drink), alongside the usual fast foods and soft drinks. I think this, along with an education campaign would be sufficient without the government having to restrict access to soft drinks. I agree with pp that I'm very wary of governments who feel their role is to dictate how we go about our daily lives.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I'm all for education campaigns run by governments about the health issues surrounding soft drinks and I agree that soft drinks really don't have a place in school tuck shops, but I am really uncomfortable with governments dictating how people go about their daily lives.
    Government already has a huge say in our we live our lives. Seatbelts are always used as an example of this. It's a matter of where individuals are comfortable drawing the line.

I run the finance side of our canteen at school at see the menus. We operate to a traffic light system and soft drinks don't meet that.

You'd be amazed what some companies try and push on canteens. We get menus for red bull, chocolates. Imagine teaching kids after a belly full of that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As a caffeine addicted individual I wouldn't have a problem with. I actually find it's a bit 'out of sight out of mind' with me myself.

My kids are only 5 & 2 but they've never even tasted soft drink. They know it's an adult drink and don't even question it. My niece is 10 and is the same.

I feel very strongly about the food & drink children should consume. I cringe at the junk in kids lunch boxes as it is ... Throw some soft drink into the mix and I couldn't even imagine the horrible party going on in their little bellies.

I'd happily pay the extra for soft drink if I really wanted it. I believe though it would impact how often I bought it which I think would be a good thing.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    So is juice though? So is tomato sauce?

I mean heck, fruit is full of sugar too.

Where do you draw the line?

If school tuck shops aren't selling them - and based on all the responses here then most aren't selling them - then really when else are children likely to buy them without their parents buying it for them?
    I am of the opinion that the only drinks that primary school children should be able to have at school (unless special occasions) is water or plain milk. Juice (even 100% juice) should be occasional use. (Say, once a week.) Fruit might be full of sugar but it's also full of fibre, vitamins and nutrients. Tomato sauce might be full of sugar but it's only used in relatively small amounts (ie, pouches) we don't drink it.

I just think that school tuckshops should only sell food that is ok for children to eat every day, they should not be selling occasional foods.

ETA: There is also the sugar high and low that will come from drinking soft drink. That can't be optimal for children to be sitting in a class having a sugar high then low. Teachers have enough to contend with, wouldn't it be optimal if all the children in the class had nourishing meals and drinks that kept their sugar levels and energy on a steady ****** rather than peaks and troughs?
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 02-10-2013 at 09:54.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Tildy  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't have a problem with it at all we cut cordial out about 4 years ago now, the only soft drink that the kids get are if we go out for dinner ....
    I thinks it's a great idea because some parents just have no idea or just don't give a **** ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    We rarely drink it, but if they change anything, it should be a higher tax on all junk food/drink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I don't think selling soft drinks in schools is a good idea and i don't think raising taxes on them is the answer either. I would like all junk food not displayed in easy to access fridges right next to the checkouts in supermarkets and maybe at places like hospital's having size limits on what they can stock is a good idea.

I remember back in the early 1990's the side of coke can's said more then 1 standard drink and now a 600mL bottle is 1 standard drink. If we put a limit on the serving sizes of these types of drinks it would be much more effective then an out right ban.

I also think in some situations the government should be supporting cheaper soft drinks like in hotels and clubs so that they are a much more cost effective option then alcohol. A lot of people will grab a beer with their meal instead of a lemonade because the beer is twice as big for $1 more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They already have taken sugar filled soft drinks out of hospitals (well the ones my daughter has been in, and thats a fair few) and only have the diet and sugar free options.
    My daughters school doesnt sell soft drink.

Seems like the balls already rolling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    I am of the opinion that the only drinks that primary school children should be able to have at school (unless special occasions) is water or plain milk. Juice (even 100% juice) should be occasional use. (Say, once a week.) Fruit might be full of sugar but it's also full of fibre, vitamins and nutrients. Tomato sauce might be full of sugar but it's only used in relatively small amounts (ie, pouches) we don't drink it.

I just think that school tuckshops should only sell food that is ok for children to eat every day, they should not be selling occasional foods.

ETA: There is also the sugar high and low that will come from drinking soft drink. That can't be optimal for children to be sitting in a class having a sugar high then low. Teachers have enough to contend with, wouldn't it be optimal if all the children in the class had nourishing meals and drinks that kept their sugar levels and energy on a steady ****** rather than peaks and troughs?
    I agree. I'm not arguing it should be freely available.

But there has to be a level of personal responsibility as well. Parents who give children money to buy lunch when a tuck shop doesn't have a pre-ordering system where parents can dictate what the child gets need to arm their children with the information to help them make the right choices. They also need to work with their school to ensure the best choices are available.

I see the government's role as arming parents with the right information for them to impart to their children. Not determining tuck shop menus - that's something for each school community (including parents) to decide.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (02-10-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast