+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I get this too. I'm really up for banning it in all school, if it's not already banned. Only because its hard for kids to be able to make the right decisions at canteens. And it makes them crazy after recess and lunch
    Oh yeah if a school decides to ban it then good on them. Especially primary schools as you're right, it is hard for kids to make the right decisions. But at the same time I think it is important to arm kids with the information to allow them to make good decisions about eating. I recognise that more often than not this is something that will fall to schools and teachers so a ban is sometimes the only practical solution for a school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with the ban in schools but nothing else. My kids choose water then milk as their drinks of choice. DS1 has had soft drink on a handful of occasions but never asks for it. His favorite drink is sparkling mineral water, he thinks that's a huge treat. DS2 has only ever had water or milk. We are a healthy, fit family and as a PP mentioned, if I choose to have a soft drink I don't see why I should be penalized because other people make poor choices for their families (for whatever reason). I'd only be supportive of a price hike if the money was put back into education on health and nutrition for families who need that assistance, but obviously that's not what's going to happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its a good idea to ban it at school for sure I don't think raising the price will change anything for people who drink it like it's water, people will just pay the extra and continue on like always. I used to drink a fair amount of it after I left home, I wasn't allowed to have it except as a reward for doing chores when I was a kid, it can be surprisingly difficult to give up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    In schools - makes sense, I'd be surprised if primary schools still had then anyway? Highschool... I don't think they should be banned.

Hospitals and community sporting events?! So like if you're in hospital with someone you can't get a can of coke/Pepsi from a vending machine to try to spark up?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Crap crap crap.

They already don't sell them at any primary school I know? And yeah I can see the point in banning them from High schools too.

But community centres/sports centres/hospitals? Ridiculous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm in 2 minds, yes banning it from schools should be done anyway ( the schools around here don't have it) but I do agree with pp that where do you stop?
    They in theory should also ban junk food or fatty foods or highly processed foods which are just as bad but then does that then make the kids go elsewhere to get it instead of allowing them free choice - educating them from day 1 about proper nutrition which should be , in theory , done at home but unfortunately I don't think every parent is capable of that so it will have to be taught at school but then the teachers will say they have no time/resources ect so what do you do ?

Our obesity/ disease rates ( diabetes ect) are increasing rapidly so obviously something needs to be done , everyone always says everything in moderation is ok but most kids don't know how much is too much so they need to be educated - I've seen many kids who have strict rules at home binge at school and other people's houses when their parents are not around

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Aside from the issues of individual freedom, it also leads to people completely absolving themselves of their individual responsibilities.

'Oh my child is obese? The government really should do something about that'.
    Totally agree with you there but I don't think soft drinks have a place in school tuckshops. It just normalises everyday drinking of soft drinks. Same could be said of smoking (putting aside the fact that if affects more than just the person smoking) - the strategies governments have implemented to decrease and de-normalise smoking have been really great. We don't see smoking on TV nearly as much, people don't smoke as much in public, it's hidden from shopping shelves, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think its a daft idea. I think the onus of good health should be in the individual and their family.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with a ban in primary schools (pretty sure in sa they are), everything else I think people are old enough to make their own decision.

making it more expensive will just mean people like a particular member of my family will spend more of her single parenting pension in coke for her and her kids, making it less likely she will have spare to spend on healthier food and drink- unfortunately this person has life backwards and buys crap first, and fruit/veg with what ever she has left over .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Totally agree with you there but I don't think soft drinks have a place in school tuckshops. It just normalises everyday drinking of soft drinks. Same could be said of smoking (putting aside the fact that if affects more than just the person smoking) - the strategies governments have implemented to decrease and de-normalise smoking have been really great. We don't see smoking on TV nearly as much, people don't smoke as much in public, it's hidden from shopping shelves, etc.
    I'm all for education campaigns run by governments about the health issues surrounding soft drinks and I agree that soft drinks really don't have a place in school tuck shops, but I am really uncomfortable with governments dictating how people go about their daily lives.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-10-2013)