+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default solely expressing

has anyone solely express breastfed? by solely i mean not attachment but may have had top ups of formula

i ask as i just found out im expecting number 2 and after a traumatic time breastfeeding number 1 i dont want to try it again and it actually gives me nightmares however id like to try expressing so this bubba can get the best nutrition

how often did u express, how soon before bub came did u start etc

any help appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I had to terrible experience with dd and when ds was born I expressed a bottle a head. Bacially after he had a bottle I would express a new one. Unless we were going out and I expressed more. I didnt like the idea of freezing bm.

'only want to see you one time dancing in the purple rain'

4. The Following User Says Thank You to crossley92 For This Useful Post:

kweenkylie  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I express fed my DS until he was 13 months old. I'll come back and write more in the morning for you

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

kweenkylie  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ebf from 2 weeks as ds3 would not take the boob. I managed to get to 4 months before I literally ran dry. The Avent Isis UNO is what I used but its not designed for long term use, it stopped working and we bought another one lol. Best pump I have used and stimulates sucking the best out of any other brand. There is a duo that might be more suited.

I expressed while bubs fed, helped to do it at the same time with let down. Would have bub in lap feeding with 1 hand and pump in the other. As long as you are pumping as often as he is feeding then you should have no issues.

I also froze excess bm in the Avent storage containers and bags designed for it. Never had an issue with them. Milk was never in the freezer for more than a few days as I swapped it out.

I didn't try express before bub came as I didn't know he was suddenly going to be difficult lol. But as the milk doesn't come in until a few days after bub is born I assume you'd be expressing colostrum. Hand expressing to start with might be more gentle on sensitive breasts.

Here's a link to a page with a bit more info.

http://www.thewomens.org.au/Expressingbreastmilk

Good luck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MyboysMylife For This Useful Post:

kweenkylie  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I exclusively expressed for dd for 6 months (from when she was about 8 days old). I didn't express anything before as I wasn't planning on doing it that way and is certainly more work! You need to pump as often as you would feed so try to get in 10 -12 pumps in a 24 hour period for the first few weeks then aim for 8-10 so basically every 3 hours is what I stuck to. I only pumped once or twice during the night and that was when she woke for a feed. Good luck mate and I hope you have a good double pump. Double is a lifesaver!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BecT For This Useful Post:

kweenkylie  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I ebf my dd due to medical issues. You need a great pump (spectra or unimom are good hospital grade that are closed systems)
    I did bf for the first month so I'm not sure how it works straight after birth but I imagine you just need to start pumping??? Hopefully someone can help you with that.
    As for having enough milk. ..I pumped every 2-3 hours around the clock for months. ...I froze ebm in small measures of about 50mls depending on her age. . so none was wasted. Sometimes feeding bub and pumping is good too for milk supply. I wasn't coordinated enough for that.
    I actually did hand express colostrum into syringe for the first few days... the midwives helped me with that so hopefully you'll get some help with that.
    I did take motilium and ate lots of lactation cookies!!!
    Sorry. .. I'm not sure how else to help you.
    Pumping a lot is pretty essential to keeping up the supply.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

kweenkylie  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just coming back as promised

I intended to breastfeed, but I had my son at 31 weeks, so he was too small to feed. I began expressing in hospital and by day 3 I had a massive milk supply (I expressed every 3 hours around the clock).

Once my DS was able to breastfeed, I still found myself regularly expressing as I had so much milk. So I built up quite the supply at both the hospital and home!

My DS was never a champion feeder directly on the breast, but was more than happy with a bottle of EBM. So I found myself more than often feeding him EBM rather than putting him on the breast. By the time he was 6 months old I'd stopped putting him on the breast and was just feeding him EBM.

As he got older and more into his solids, I was able to express less frequently. In the end I was down to two expressions a day. When I decided to stop at 13 months, I got down to one expression a day, then just dropped it off and let my supply dry up.

It was hard work, but at the time I just wanted to do it for my DS. I returned to work when he was 4.5 months old, so it was my way of feeling like I was doing something special and important for him.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

kweenkylie  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My sister had her twins in hospital for the first 3 months and was told to BF. She had a medical grade breast pump that she was attached to day and night.

We had an entire deep freeze freezer full of ebm at one stage.

It can be done, I am one who finds it hard to express a single drop so I only lasted BF ds2 for 3 months as I just wasn't able to express enough

16. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

kweenkylie  (03-10-2013)