+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default solely express feeding

not sure if this is the right spot but just want to ask

has anyone solely express breastfed? by solely i mean not attachment but may have had top ups of formula

i ask as i just found out im expecting number 2 and after a traumatic time breastfeeding number 1 i dont want to try it again and it actually gives me nightmares however id like to try expressing so this bubba can get the best nutrition

how often did u express, how soon before bub came did u start etc

any help appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry I have no experience in solely expressing but wanted to give you a little bump

Maybe try posting in the breast feeding section? Or a mod could move it for you.

Good luck with everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Yep, I'm typing this as I express for DD. She has been on 100% expressed since birth and she is now almost 9 weeks. I won't lie, its hard work, but worth it.

I would ask a mod to move this to the breastfeeding section, as there are others in that section with similar experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks im new here so not who mods are i might just post it over there too :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I exclusively expressed for my DD from when she was about 3 weeks due to breast refusal. For the first 3-4 months, I expressed whenever she fed, including during the night feeds, it worked out to about 6-8 times per day. A double handsfree pump is a must for this. After about 3-4 months she started sleeping through, and my supply was established, so then I expressed around 6 times a day. I should add that I had a lot of support from DH and from my mum and dad. None of them batted an eyelid as I also used to express during my mealtimes too - I figured I was sitting down to eat, might as well strap on the pump for 15 min or so I also had a couple of visits from a private lactation consultant (partially covered by PHI) who helped me set up my pumping routine - I found the LC's at the hospital next to useless when it came to pumping, all they would say was "it's too much hard work, you'll just give up"

It's a lot of hard work, all the extra washing up and so forth, but it didn't take too long to build up a stash in the freezer. I kept going for quite a while, due partly to me being unsure about how to stop: once I had my little routine going, I just used to strap on the pump at the nominated time. Good luck with expressing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpringRain For This Useful Post:

giveitago  (08-10-2013),kweenkylie  (05-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did similar to SpringRain but from 13 weeks. Wish I had started earlier, as the writing was on the wall regarding breast refusal from at least 6-8 weeks, and at that stage I had a really abundant supply. I think the key is pumping as often as humanly possible - for me that was 5/day initially then tailed it back as my supply began to drop. I kept going till bubs was 7m old, but for the last couple of months he was only getting one bottle of EBM a day and the rest formula. The issue is that it's hard to build and maintain supply w/o v freqt pumping, and for me, I prob didnt pump enough, and my supply had already started to dip due to the breast refusal. It's also critical you keep it up if going away, despite the hassle of taking the pump - so I continued for an interstate wedding, at a seminar, in many public toilets, and in the back seat of a car on one trip - hey you gotta do what you gotta do!
    For me, I had to use all the tricks - motilium, fenugreek, hotpacks while pumping, double pump etc.
    I feel that it was worth it, although I felt like a cow, to know that he was getting the BM for as long as possible. IMO exclusive pumping is way better than traumatic BFg...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anemone For This Useful Post:

giveitago  (08-10-2013),kweenkylie  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks girls makes me feel like it is possible

i know itll be hard work but im up for it :-)