+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Toilet training

Hi all, just wanting a bit of advice re toilet training. DS will be 2 later this month and for most part I think he is showing readiness signs.
    For the last week or so he has been taking off his nappy - not all the time but at least 4 times in 4-5 days.
    He makes grunting sounds when he wants to do poos but not consistently. He sometimes also says poo, mostly afterward. Tonight he has been saying it and nothing in his nappy so I have put him on the toilet with the potty seat and nothing.
    He has done wees in the potty maybe three times in the last 5 days. I've let him run around with no bottoms on and have asked him every time mins or so whether he needs to go and he says no. He was watching TV and I asked him, he said no but then was so focused on what he was watching that he went anyway, while laying on the lounge!
    I put him in underwear in the weekend which he seemed to be okay with but still didn't tell me if he needed to go and said no when I asked.
    Not sure whether to start straight away or wait a bit longer. Difficult at bed time though - he's just taken his nappy off twice in bed and has just wet in the bed.
    I'm having my second in early Feb and thinking it may be a good time to toilet train him before bubs comes along.
    Any advice would be much appreciatedn TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am toilet training my 2r old at the moment and made the mistake of asking if she needs to go, you will always get no for an answer.
    I started telling her it was time to sit on the toilet and after a week she now goes by herself when she feels she needs to. I do remind her every half hr or so though.
    Do you have a potty you could bring to a main area of the house? I have done this too and it has helped a lot.
    Dont try and rush it though, Theres still plenty of time to teach him. He is probably just enjoying being nappy free.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicole89 For This Useful Post:

Bunny Lover  (01-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My advice , don't ask , either tell them or let them know "Time to go to the toilet" and take them regularly.
    Eventually they'll clue on 😄good luck xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kriista For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I toilet trained dd1, I always said, "Don't forget to tell mummy if you need to go to the toilet," I probably said this 50 times a day. If I asked her, I always got a no, but if I said "Don't forget..." It was really effective.

I also found I had to leave her with a bare bum, if I put knickers on her, she'd just go, it was like she couldn't distinguish between nappy and knickers. Bare bum made her more aware.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and another thing, I'd say, "Mummy really needs a wee, lets race and the first one there gets to go first," then let her win obviously. So she'd go to the toilet while I patiently waited my turn.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

Bunny Lover  (01-10-2013),Purple Lily  (01-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. Do you think he is showing the right signs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I have a potty to use as well. (Not for me obviously, haha). I'll try putting that on the tiles in the middle of the house. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is toilet better or potty? Is there a difference or any issues with either? I'm so new to this! Sorry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm wondering that too. My son is 3 in December and showing no signs of being ready. I'm so stressed about it. Trying to stay home for a week in a row so I can consistently do it but I've got so many of my own medical appts I don't know what to do. And I'm too scared to do bare bum/undies cause we rent so what if has an accident and leaks onto the carpet!

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app