+ Reply to Thread
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default Low Thyroid - your stories

I've recently been diagnosed with low thyroid and have been prescribed some medication.

I'd be very interested in hearing the stories of others who have had similar issues and if any non-medicated strategies helped to improve. My intention is to take the medication but if there is anything in addition to taking the medication I can do to help the situation then I would like to know.

I've searched through posts but the only threads I can find are about low thyroid during pregnancy and I'm not pregnant.

Thanks so much.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry busy-bee I have hypothyroidism as well but mine is pregnancy induced.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (02-10-2013)

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Hi lovely

I have hypothyroidism ... sigh .. so I feel your pain ..

I went to my GP because I was gaining weight (unfairly .. lol) I was exhausted ALLLL the time - and I was getting depressed .. my blood results quickly showed why ... I had no thyriod level - low iron .. low vitamin d and low vitamin b - so I was a bit of a mess ...

I'm on supplements for the iron and the vitamins - ongoing till the levels are restored ..

My GP was good - she allowed me to try a high iodine diet etc before going to medication - but I have to say it did nothing I then went on a low level of mediation (50mg every other day ... and 25 mg on others) .. but that did nothing - FINALLY I'm on 100 mg every other day .. and 50 mg on others, and my thyroid levels are finally NORMAL

I've noticed a MASSIVE difference - since my levels went up ... I feel almost normal lol

I wrote on my fb wall when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism - and I was honestly surprised at how many of my female friends wrote back and said that they have the same condition - apparently is reaaaally common in women, especially after childbirth??? so please dont feel alone

xx
    Jen

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (02-10-2013)

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've just realised from your sig that I know you

feel free to chat to me anytime - you know where I am ..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (02-10-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had wondered if I had a thyroid problem and have had a couple of out of normal range test results but nothing the make a diagnosis. Iodine in your diet can be a factor? But to be honest I can't recall how it interacts with low/high thyroid.

i have also heard people talk about it being treated with natural thyroid hormone from a pig but I personally would probably be more inclined to go for the pharmaceutical option.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What were all of you tsh levels?? Id be interested to know about iodine and thyroid problems. Does anyone have any info on this?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your thyroid needs iodine to function properly, many people can be low or deficient in iodine. I'm not exactly sure but low iodine can be one cause of hypothyroid but there are many others too. There is debate over test result ranges and at what levels you should be treated. I insisted on treatment when I found out I was borderline hypothyroid as was having fertility issues and wanted to eliminate that factor. it can also cause miscarriage.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KLM76 For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I was diagnosed when I was 15 as it runs in the women in our family.

Basically over the years my thyroxine doses have changed up and down depending mainly on pregnancies, but follow a general trend of increasing. I was increased to 200 mgs during my last pregnancy and 8 months after giving birth I'm still finding my right level again.

It can be a long process of adjusting doses, waiting at least 2 months for a blood test to see how the results look and also how you are feeling. Then maybe adjusting again etc etc. Now I'm alternating 150mg and 100 mg every other day and think this is right for me now.

There is a 'normal range' for blood results and I find I feel better siting in the higher part of that range iykwim? That's after 15 years of taking thyroxine tho!

I also understand from my GP that my constant low iron is linked to low thyroid. Often the two go hand in hand apparently.

Now I can feel when it's not right. Tired, fuzzy in my head and depressed when I'm low .....and anxious in the pit of my stomach with manic type thoughts when I'm over medicated. It's amazing how it effects me mentally and emotionally as well as physically.

Hope this helps, good luck and let me know if you have any more questions xxx

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Milly Molly Mandy For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (03-10-2013)