+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS1 was outside from about 12 months in a fully fenced yard. I checked every few minutes and could see and hear him from the house. He learned to negotiate our deck steps very early on and was confident with stairs as soon as he could walk. DS2 is 15 months and is always outside with now 3 year old DS1, has been for a couple of months. Again, I check every few minutes or sit on the deck. We've moved and out yard is much larger, has a cubby which has steps, lots of garden beds to hide in and a swing set. They both have a ball. I'm more vigilant now than I was with DS1 but only because we now have a puppy. But I still let them free range the back yard a lot. I'm sure a lot of parents would be a bit horrified about it but meh, they're fine. They've both had tumbles, falls, grazes, step issues etc and I've heard or seen every single cry and been by their side a flash if it's a real cry. The crocodile tear cries I leave until they come to me. They're both happy, healthy boys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From when they could walk.

We've been at this house for 3 months and there is no front fence, and I am now happy for them (aged 3 and 6) to play unsupervised in the front yard. They have not gone further than the fence line ever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey, my 18 month old plays outside by himself with me just checking on him periodically! He loves being outside, so he's allowed to wander in and out as he pleases

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

EmilyMac  (01-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our backyard is very child safe.

DS has played out there since before he could crawl with me with him of course.

He's probably played out there with less supervision from around 18 months.... I would either be in and out or sitting in our sunroom which looks out into the yard. When the weather is nice the door is open and he just wanders in and out as he pleases.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is almost 4 and I would not let him play outside unsupervised or at least where I can see him from the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingInPuddles View Post
    Personally I would let a 2.5 year old play in a safe backyard. Poke my head out every few minutes.
    Same.
    As long as I could check every few mins id be happy to let them outside for a while

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS has been playing out in the yard alone from 11.5 months when he could walk. We have a normal sized suburban backyard, flat and kiddie proof.

I also do the 3-5 min checks. I feel a lot better now that DH set up padlocks on the side gates. I was taking some washing off the line about 50m from DS and he was playing with the gate latches and undid it. Omg, imagine if I had not been there. This was when he was about 14 months (he's 18 mo now).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We have a fully fenced yard, and I can see from inside the house, it's a small yard so it's not like they get out of earshot or anywhere out if view, there's also nothing to really get into trouble with in our yard so Jaspers been going out there unsupervised since we moved here, so 3-i don't really check on him any more, he's nearly 5, I just let him know if he's outside if I'm headed upstairs so he knows where I am if he needs me.

Katelyn is 18 months she can play outside if I'm washing dishes and watching her but I still prefer to keep an eye on her outside - more in case she tries to eat rocks or something. Lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    She would have been 3.5, but that's only because we didn't have a suitable backyard before that point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD wasn't until she was 3, we weren't living here until then and our old house we had a dodgy neighbour so we visited parks frequently rather than play outside.

DS1 about 12 months but only with DD as she is a awesome big sister and keeps an eye on him. Now he's 22 months and he's happy to come and go as he pleases. Our backyard is fully fenced, we don't have a pool or dogs and it backs onto a nursing home