+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missymoo9 View Post
    Bad parent here.

I let my children play unsupervised in the backyard from 1.5yrs... I would be in and out constantly checking her etc.

Our back yard had a 7ft fence and locks on both the gates....

We didn't have big trees or stairs or anything. ... just a patio and massive grassy yard. She had lots of toys she could safely play on/with .....

She is a real outdoorsy type.. couldn't keep her in the house we spent a lot of time outside

I think it was good for her and im glad we had the secure yard to allow that...
    I was the same in my old house with ds1 we had a great kiddy friendly back yard and I couldn't keep him inside once he started to walk. So I'm a bad parent too 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just over 2 ours were playing unsupervised. Our yard is fully fenced and is very open plan inside we have heaps of sliding doors so I can see my kids at all times anyway if I lift my head up!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks all, we r lucky out lounge and dining area look over the yard - 3 sliding doors. (we only have a front yard) but kitchen looks over the back which is just a long path running along the back of the house which is only about 1.5 meters wide. There's nothing there, just empty space really and a bit of fire wood.

All the bedrooms also have sliding doors overlooking the front too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did from about 13 months . Totally fenced in and no where for him to go . I can see and hear him . Our pool gate is shut with a bike combination lock so no way he can get in there.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I let my 2.5 year old and 4 year old play outside. The yard is fully fenced. I pop my head out from time to time, but can generally hear them...very noisy little rascals. It's when they're quiet that I know something is up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (01-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 2.5 plays outside too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What dangerous stuff should I look out for or be careful of? I'm not used to being in a house.

We don't have a pool but some (I think 2) of our neighbours do. They do have fences around and we have a fence round out house but there are a few parts which need replacing.

Besides that we have a garden shed which is locked and potted plants / planter boxes.

We also have a gazebo an a big chicken coop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missymoo9 View Post
    Bad parent here.

I let my children play unsupervised in the backyard from 1.5yrs... I would be in and out constantly checking her etc.

Our back yard had a 7ft fence and locks on both the gates....

We didn't have big trees or stairs or anything. ... just a patio and massive grassy yard. She had lots of toys she could safely play on/with .....

She is a real outdoorsy type.. couldn't keep her in the house we spent a lot of time outside

I think it was good for her and im glad we had the secure yard to allow that...
    Hardly bad parent! I only didn't because our old backyard had a severe incline and was not suitable for kids at all! Nice flat fences yard now

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3 year old goes out and in as he pleases. He has been doing it for ages. If it's secure I don't see the problem, during summer it's different because there are snakes around here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it really depends on your yard, when DD was little we lived on a steep slopey block with trees which meant that I couldn't see most of the yard from the back door, windows and she was a little wanderer. There was also concrete stairs and the side didn't have a gate. So she didn't spend long stints out there alone till she was about 4 and able to understand the boundaries and answer when called.
    When we moved to the farm she had free reign from prep. The block was lovely and flat, fenced and the house had lovely wide windows all around so I could always see or hear her. I was worried about snakes though but she's so bloody noisy I'm sure she scared them all off! Lol

If we were on one of those small new blocks you see on a lot of modern houses these days with the patio, glass door set up I would be happy to have a toddler out there.