+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default At what age do you let your kids play outside unsupervised?

What's a realistic age? I don't mean ALL day, but say 20 mins?

If your yard is completely fenced in etc?

Some of you may have read my previous thread about the big palms and fronds falling, so before you judge me ill say NO I never let DS play outside unsupervised, I am not comfortable doing that, but hen our yard is fenced properly and also no more palms, then at what age is reasonable?
    I know he's far too young right now (2.5) but I'm curious as to when is 'reasonable' to start letting him have a bit more freedom.

(Reminds me of the 'overprotective parents' thread)

Pls no judgements, I'm just asking the question as I'm clearly fairly new to all this. And new to having a yard finally (which is one of the main reasons we bought a house instead of a unit)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS is the same age and we've just moved into a house with a fully fenced backyard.

I let him play outside on his own while I'm inside, though I do glance out at him about once a minute. Baby steps!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (01-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apart from te palms we have and the non existent front gate, I'm not sure what else he could get hurt on. We haven't been here long so I guess I need to check what else could happen out there. DH isn't comfortable with him being out there on his own and I'm not either at this stage but yeah, just trying to get a feel of what others feel is reasonable

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2.5 yo plays in the yard by himself. I would never leave him 20 mins without checking though - I'm too paranoid. But while I am cleaning or doing something I am happy for him to play out there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeyMumma View Post
    My 2.5 yo plays in the yard by himself. I would never leave him 20 mins without checking though - I'm too paranoid. But while I am cleaning or doing something I am happy for him to play out there.
    Oh yeah I wouldn't leave him without checking on him of course should have clarified that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds isnt 2 yet and he plays out the back while im hanging the washing or I watch him from our living room.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    In a kiddy proof yard I think 2.5 is fine if like pp have said you pop your head out every couple of minutes. I can't leave ds1 out side unsupervised any more as we've moved rural and I'm worried about snakes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The 3.5 year old frequently spends most of the day in the yard

And has done since 2ish

The almost 2year old can't walk yet, otherwise would be out there too

We've covered the fish ponds with grates, and the fence is completely enclosed, so not too concerned

We check periodically but not obsessively -plus we have doors and windows open so usually know what's going on

Thanks
    Reviews
    My back yard is fully fenced and in full sight from the kitchen and lounge so DD has been gradually given more freedom over time. I think it is something you work up to depending on the child, the garden and their behavior/ personality.

From about 2.5 DD would have short stints outside. Initially while I sat on the back deck and watched what she got up to, then while I watched from inside while cooking, sometimes ducking away for a minute or two. Now at almost 3.5 I let her go in and out of her own accord and just check up on her every few minutes to see what she is up to.

Never more than a few minutes without checking or at least calling out to her and asking where she is and what she is doing. Mind you the same goes if i'm outside gardening and she's in the house unsupervised (playing in her room or watching TV) or if i'm in another room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bad parent here.

I let my children play unsupervised in the backyard from 1.5yrs... I would be in and out constantly checking her etc.

Our back yard had a 7ft fence and locks on both the gates....

We didn't have big trees or stairs or anything. ... just a patio and massive grassy yard. She had lots of toys she could safely play on/with .....

She is a real outdoorsy type.. couldn't keep her in the house we spent a lot of time outside

I think it was good for her and im glad we had the secure yard to allow that...