Closed Thread
Page 51 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi everyone! I just need to get this off my chest and I find putting it on here helps to clear my head. I had an OB appt today and he told me that given my history that I can't have an epidural. So if I decide to try natural I don't have that as an option, but if it then requires intervention (forceps etc) that I will have to have a GA! If I choose a CS (which I had with DS) I might be able to have a spinal or I might have to have a GA.

I am just really focused on the outcome - healthy baby healthy mummy - but it is a lot to take in. I really don't want my baby to be born while I am asleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs Bedlover - it's good to know upfront but I'd wait and see what happen maybe try to go as far without then change to a as with spinal if not happening or getting too painful as a plan. Let him know you want to avoid GA at all costs! Hugs

👫 First bub for DH and I after 10 cycles of IVF 🎉
    Celebrating and looking forward to meeting Junior -
    EDD 24May14 🍼

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay11 For This Useful Post:

bedlover  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hugs bedlover xx I may be faced with the same situation. I have a large tattoo on my back and I've been told previously that they don't like doing spinals because they can't guarantee that the ink won't enter the cord. It upsets me too that 'I may not be there' for the birth of my baby. What keeps me sane is knowing that if that's what it takes to get my baby here safely then so be it. We won't have anyone waiting at the hospital and dh knows that no one is to hug that kid before me. Anyway, how are you feeling otherwise?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

bedlover  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well all is good with the 12 week NT scan. Low risk for downs. The belly bean was doing all sorts of tricks yesterday like standing on its head and not getting into position to measure NT, so end up having abdominal and internal ultrasound. She even asked me if I wanted to insert the probe. WTF!! I was like I have had so many of these what is one more. We should also get the panorama test back to this week. Was so nice to share the news last night with family and friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Went to city to get my blood tests done and went into wrong hospital by the time I walked all the way from the Disabled parking to the main foyer which took 15min for me I asked for help to find the Murdoch Children's Research Institute and was told I was actually at the Royal Melbourne Hospital instead so finally made it to the right hospital (all on same road and poor signage ATM) I was 20min late? Exhausted and hormonally fragile / emotional.
    Anyway tests explained to me I ended up get both blood tests taken and an extra for their own research / development program so they can cross check the results with their trail findings (before they start NIPS testing in Australia) to make sure their testing procedure get the right results.
    So now might need to spend more money to get the Genetic Carrier Screening! It's never ending!!
    Good news is she said she'll ring me as soon as Panorama test come in so don't have to wait for OB appt

EDD 24May14 🍼
    Last edited by Jay11; 06-11-2013 at 12:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a day! So got some clarification on some of the test or you can go to the website (http://www.vcgs.org.au/pathology/?do...992e00efe918):

= Combined 1st Trimester screening:
    1. Blood Test (best results between 10-11weeks but 9 - 13.6 weeks ok) known as Maternity Serum Screening (MSS) measures the amount of two different proteins called PAPP-A and free beta HCG which appear naturally in the mothers blood during pregnancy.A change in these proteins MAY indicate that there is an increased risk that the baby has Down Syndrome or trisomy 18.
    - A result is not available from the blood test alone (can be done at local pathology collection centre). Cost me $70

2. Ultrasound (best time between12-13weeks but ok between 11.1 - 13.6 weeks) known as Nuchal Translucency (NT) as it measures the amount of fluid in the skin at the back of the babies neck during the scan (through the abdominal wall but sometimes vaginal scan is required). Babies have some fluid there but on average a baby with Down Syndrome or other chromosome abnormalities has a larger amount. Scan will also look at babies health, confirm twins or singleton, accurate estimate of due date, checks the presence or absence of a nasal bone (if nasal bone absent the baby MAY be at higher risk of Down Syndrome), and looks for obvious physical abnormalities like spina bifida. Done by specially trained ultrasonographer- costing me $260
    ………………………………

= Non-Invasive Prenatal Screening or NIPS
    -Also known by Panorama, Harmony depending on who is testing. Test takes 10days currently as a guide as it's sent overseas. Hopefully in Australia in next few years.
    - the test - during pregnancy some DNA from baby crosses into the mothers blood******. The babies DNA fragments are analysed to identify certain chromosomes conditions that COULD affect the babies health. Performed anytime after 9weeks. Not suitable if carrying multiples, not biological parent (donor egg /embryo or surrogate), had bone marrow transplant or parents of close blood relationship!
    - test screening can identify:
    >99% pregnancies affected by trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome), trisomy 18 & 14,
    92% with monopsony X (Turner Syndrome),
    Sex chromosome conditions,
    > 99% accuracy for sex of the baby

- Cost for me was $895 done through Murdoch Childrens Research Institute @ Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne who send it to a company in USA called Natera and they use the Panorama test!
    ………………………………

And finally we were told of another test today that we reckon we should have been told about when TTC or at least at start of IVF and it's called:
    = Genetic Carrier Screening (Cost $385)
    - A simple blood test which can be arranged by your doctor which will tell you if you are a carrier of 3 common inherited conditions:
    1. Cystic Fibrosis (CF) needs both parents to be carriers
    2. Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)needs both parents to be carriers
    3. Fragile X syndrome (FXS) needs only mother to be a carrier as she passes on the X chromosome.
    - Not part of Karyotype genetics testing. - Blood drawn from a pathology lab They suggest female gets test and if a carrier then male gets blood test and if we are both carriers of CF or SMA then it's a 1in4 (25%) chance our baby will be effected for each pregnancy.
    - If I tested to having increase risk gene for FXS our baby would have a 50% chance of passing on to each child I have.

EDD 24May14 🍼
    Last edited by Jay11; 06-11-2013 at 12:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ngaiz - I am feeling much better thanks! Out of hospital - got to see bubba 3 times in the last 3 days and all is great there! Just focussing on getting to Christmas now and our holidays!! Only 6.5 weeks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Excellent news BEdLoVer hope your able to ceLeBRaTE somehow

EDD 24May14 🍼
    Last edited by Jay11; 06-11-2013 at 14:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jay- oh wow I loooove your aquariums! Absolutely beautiful. Glad you ended up in the right place for your BTs and hope the wait for the results isn't too agonising. Fingers crossed everything comes back low risk/all-clear

Amps- oh you poor thing, this pregnancy is really knocking you around . I hope you begin to feel better soon and your stay in hospital will be short.

Bedlover- very happy to hear you're home now and all is well with bubba! Yes bring on Christmas, for once I am actually looking forward to it . I hope the birth works out so that you can deliver naturally without epidural (or planned c/s with spinal). I sure would hate to be knocked out with GA at such a special moment.

Spidery- congrats on your BFP and welcome! Hope you're feeling reassured that everything is OK despite some symptoms fading. I never had any nausea or MS which did worry me at times, but everything has turned out OK so far.

Veritas- sorry to hear your DF is being so inconsiderate. I hope things have improved since you last posted .My DH hasn't seen any bedroom action since the TWW and I'm very lucky he's so patient & understanding. Much as I feel sorry for him I just have no desire at all.

Annerley- great job on the personals! Hope the MS isn't too severe and that time is passing quickly until your scan.

JJ- yay for baby shopping! The cost of some things are crazy, but at least its money spent on something real and not another round of IVF.

rtkirk- how lovely that DH got to take advantage of the winery tours & no doubt plenty of tasting for his birthday. Fiji in Dec sounds divine!

Nirok- I think you're very lucky getting to 12w with no obvious symptoms and no visible belly! Pregnancy definitely agrees with you . Scary that you're still having some bleeding though, really hope that hemorrhage clear up soon.

Arlais- I've started to notice my belly getting in my way too! Simple things like bending down to put shoes on is already more difficult. Lugging the extra weight was very noticeable on our recent camping trip, walking up and over a sand dune to get to the beach nearly killed me lol.

Hampton- congrats on another blue bundle!

Ngaiz- we are opting for a surprise for exactly the reasons you said. I hope things are OK with your kidneys and like Bedlover, I hope you can find a pain relief option that doesn't involve a GA.

ABH- congrats on great NT scan results and sharing the happy news! Bit weird the sonographer asked if you wanted to put the probe in yourself! Hopefully that's the last of the scans with your pants off

Hi October, LMM, Orchids, Catlover & everyone else

AFM- Feeling much less paranoid about something going wrong and beginning to actually look ahead to when I'll finish work and what we need for bubs. Seeing my OB again tomorrow and looking forward to another peek at our little one .

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

Annerley  (06-11-2013),Arlais  (06-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi bedlover, if you don't mind me asking... is your Ob supportive of trying for a VBAC ? Is it the same Ob as first bub or someone new? For some reason i was under the impression many Obs don't support VBACs and recommend having a CS if that was how first bub was delivered.