Closed Thread
Page 5 of 94 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    That's good news Arlais. It sounds like you have an excellent understanding if what it all means- thanks or sharing this info. I had no idea to be honest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Love your names CatLover. Actually everyone's names are lovely. Arlais I'm surprised about the high risk thing too. I'm absolutely clueless. I thought a test would actually test for Downs not just give a risk factor. Obviously I'm not good at looking into all this stuff. So I appreciate all the info. Am I correct in saying the IVF drugs can affect the result but not necessarily increase the real risk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Morning lovelies,
    I think (pS) pregnancy sickness is starting to kick in ( I'm changing it to pS as hubby this morning said don't forget it's morning sickness not arvo or night - cheeky bugger he knows & is just stirring me, although he wasn't smiling- TMI alert -when I accidentally burped when giving him a kiss goodbye). Also last night found out one of his best friends who was a groom at our wedding and vise versa wife is 18wks which is super cool but since she has 'MS' I felt weird asking her how her 'MS' is with the pregnancy when in these threads we use MS as an abbrev for morning sickness .... Ah hope Im not too confusing and this make sense ... Figured pS works also if pB is used for pregnancy brain which I think is going to hit me worse and probably already has

DH - 33 & ME - 36
    IVF cycles:
    1 Fresh 5dt- BFN),
    2 (Fresh 5dtx2- Biochemical), 3 (FET 5dt- BFN), 4 (FET 5dt- BFN), 5 (FET 5dt- BFN), 6 (FET 5dt- cancelled as embryo wasn't viable on defrost),
    7 (PGD Fresh 5dt- Biochemical), 8 (PGD FET 5dt- BFN),
    9 (PGD Fresh 5dt- BFN),
    10 (Fresh low stim 3dtx2 - BFP 😄 EDD 24May14)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies, just a quick one, I get my nt scan results this arvo so will post tonight how I went. If odds aren't great I will have panorama/harmony bt. Not great at personals but am thinking of you all. Take care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hwaterhouse View Post
    Love your names CatLover. Actually everyone's names are lovely. Arlais I'm surprised about the high risk thing too. I'm absolutely clueless. I thought a test would actually test for Downs not just give a risk factor. Obviously I'm not good at looking into all this stuff. So I appreciate all the info. Am I correct in saying the IVF drugs can affect the result but not necessarily increase the real risk?
    That's right, the drugs can skew the results, but it doesn't mean an increase the actual risk of downs or any other chromosome abnormality. Papp-A is a type of protein which tends to be lower than normal in IVF pregnancies. Some women have low levels of it in a natural pregnancy too, but it seems to be a lot more common in IVF than I had any idea about.

My "high risk" is not too bad, it's around the same as for a 36 year old woman having a natural pregnancy (I'm 28). The FS told me they prefer to see it more than 1:250, so 1:195 at least isn't too far out - and he believes that it is just the IVF factor, so I'm trying to take comfort in that while we wait for testing.

The blood test I'm having done is called Verifi - I believe it's similar to the Harmony and Panorama tests around, just a different company. It's going to cost $1250 (not claimable), but really it's a small price to pay for either having peace of mind, or more definite information. I know some might disagree with me, but already having one special needs child in the family we are absolutely certain we will terminate if the test comes back positive for downs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Arlais For This Useful Post:

LittleMissMagic  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Catlover - same here with the sinus issues, took me by surprise, and hunger and tiredness. Nothing too crazy though. Still spotting which is frustrating, but my numbers are good so I'll just focus on that until the scan. Amps - I hope your MS lifts after the first trimester Sorry for the lack of personals, I'm struggling to keep up with everyone! Hats off to you SimpsonDesert - amazing job!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Milly888 For This Useful Post:

Amps  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Arlais. So, if you are high risk you can have these extra tests (Harmony, Verifi etc.) which are not claimable but will say for sure if your baby has Downs? Or can they only give you a chance like 1:195? Sorry for all the questions. I just thought I'd have the blood tests and it would clear the baby of Downs - I didn't know they just looked for indicators. Is that because the real test is so expensive? Maybe I should read up on it instead of wasting your time but as you are going through it you probably have the most up to date info!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jay- The costs sure do add up, especially when you throw PGD into the mix. 2 of our cycles were with PGD and this bub was a tested embryo. We were nearing the end of our rope, I had already given up but decided to give it another shot after seeing a Reproductive Immunologist and getting a new treatment plan. I'm on clexane too, can't wait to hit 12wks and say goodbye to the needles. Glad you're getting some relief from the ringing ears, but bummer about sickness kicking in. A pity we don't get an exemption from the unpleasant side of pregnancy!

Catlover- wow having the names already sorted is fantastic! I like all your choices . DH & I have not discussed names since the early days of TTC, back then we couldn't agree on anything!

Amps- except for the nausea I feel much the same, I could fall asleep right here at my desk and I'm constantly hungry. I hope you start feeling better as you move further into the 2nd trimester. Look forward to your update on NT results, good luck!

rtkirk- good luck with the panorama test this time around. Is it tomorrow you're doing the regular NT scan? Hope it goes well.

Orchids- sounds like you had a great 1st OB appointment! Very pleased that you're happy with who you've chosen and that bubs is thriving.

Bedlover- great pics! The 3D model is so fascinating.

Arlais- oh no, that result comes as a huge shock! I hope the follow up testing shows that everything is OK and then you can truly relax.

JJ- yes I have a constant bad taste in my mouth. Like I've sucked a leaky battery. I sip on water all day long with lemon juice added to it. Seems to help a little bit.

LMM- perhaps a blessing in disguise that the sonographer didn't give you the NT measurement. I hope the next few days pass quickly and the full results come back low risk. Great news that measurements and heartbeat are all perfect!

Milly- thanks! I can't function if I haven't addressed most people and worked out where they're up to... weird quirk of mine . I hope the spotting is nothing to worry about. When are you having your scan?

hwaterhouse- the regular screening gives only a risk ratio, but the extra BT (harmony/panorama/etc) gives a conclusive positive or negative. Before the new BT, people had to do an invasive CVS or amnio to get a final result.

Butterfly- hope that your scan brings happy news.

Hampton- Best of luck for your 12wk scan next week!

Hi to everyone else . Hope there is lots of good news from everyone having scans and blood tests in the coming week.

AFM- We had our 1st OB appt this morning and it went really well. Our Dr seems very nice and he gave me a quick scan to check the blob- measurements and heartbeat were looking good for 8w4d. DH & I are heading off to Koh Samui for a 9-day holiday from tomorrow . Have been looking forward to this all year! I don't know how I'm going to catch up when I get back

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

Arlais  (03-10-2013),Orchids  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls, is the harmony/panorama test people are mentioning the new down syndrome test available that's sent off to the US to get the results? Only heard it mentioned a few times before, very curious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hwaterhouse View Post
    Thanks Arlais. So, if you are high risk you can have these extra tests (Harmony, Verifi etc.) which are not claimable but will say for sure if your baby has Downs? Or can they only give you a chance like 1:195? Sorry for all the questions. I just thought I'd have the blood tests and it would clear the baby of Downs - I didn't know they just looked for indicators. Is that because the real test is so expensive? Maybe I should read up on it instead of wasting your time but as you are going through it you probably have the most up to date info!

No problems hun. The only diagnostic tests which will tell you for certain is either CVS or Amnio - both of which are invasive and have a small chance of causing miscarriage.

The screening blood tests such as Verifi claim a 99% accuracy, so almost on par with those but are not invasive. They extract the tiny amounts of the babies DNA present in the mother's blood and test those for chromosomal aneuploidies. I'm not sure about the other blood tests, but Verifi will give an answer of either "positive" or "negative" for those aneuploidies for T13, T18 & T21. Verifi also tests for X and Y chromosomal abnormalities - or will simply report gender if none are found.

If aneuploidies are detected or suspected, they recommend that you do go for an amnio to confirm, but it's a good way of having further testing without a full on procedure.

Yes totwo - it is the one that goes off to the US (where it's been routinely offered for more than a year), some testing places though get sent off to China.

I've got my BT appt booked for 10:30am Monday, and should expect the results back about a week after that. At least the cost has reduced and it will only be $900 instead of $1250

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arlais For This Useful Post:

hwaterhouse  (03-10-2013),LittleMissMagic  (03-10-2013)