Closed Thread
Page 13 of 94 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Everyone,

I've had my 12 week scan this morning, good news and not so good news. Baby is looking very good, NT measurements good, nasal bone present, heart all good. However, I also have low Papp A so that with my age has given me a high risk factor 1:187. Not quite sure what to do next. Reluctant to do amnio and DH reluctant to spend $900 on blood test when we will probably have baby regardless. At the 19 week scan they look for a few additional markers which if ok would put me in the low risk category. If not, amnio and blood tests are still options. Like Arlais, I think everything is probably ok but as I am a huge worrier I just feel like I can't share my news with excitement. I am always amazed at how hard this journey is and I really hate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    big hugs October

In regards to the combined NT scan and blood test, my OB said that if you are 100% sure you would have the baby regardless, to not even bother having it done. On the other hand if you are sure you would end the pregnancy then do the test.

They can still do an amnio after the morph scan if there's anything there to raise concerns October. The risk of miscarriage is getting less as they refine the technique too. If you're happy to wait until after then you still have options.

Already having one child with special needs in the family actually makes it a fairly easy decision for DH and I - we would terminate. You might think we would be more open to having a child with a disability, but actually living with the reality and the ongoing challenges and support required means that we would not knowingly bring a child into the world that has to face those.

My hat goes off to people that do continue with pregnancies with a diagnosis before birth, but it's not something that DH and I want to put ourselves or the child through.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Arlais For This Useful Post:

Jay11  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's definitely a tricky one Arlais. My DH has a nephew with Down Syndrome (they didn't know before he was born - his sister was 29) and I watch what they go through and I definitely don't want that. My DH doesn't agree with testing at all (or IVF for that matter - but that's another story!!!) but he says if he knew for certain, he wouldn't want to have it. I can't imagine terminating, particularly when I've tried for so long and at almost 40, I really feel this is it. But, the worrier in me thinks I'd prefer to know what we're dealing with. I imagine we will wait for the 19 week scan and reevaluate based on that. They've told me if that scan is good, then I will cone down to low risk. If tge risk increases, like you say, there's still options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    According to this chart I found, for your age October your individual risk factor has actually come back very good;

Maternal age at term Risk of Down’s syndrome Maternal age at term Risk of Down’s syndrome Maternal age at term Risk of Down’s syndrome
    20 1:1450 30 1:940 40 1:85
    21 1:1450 31 1:820 41 1:70
    22 1:1450 32 1:700 42 1:55
    23 1:1400 33 1:570 43 1:45
    24 1:1400 34 1:460 44 1:40
    25 1:1350 35 1:350 45 1:35
    26 1:1300 36 1:270 46 1:30
    27 1:1200 37 1:200 47 1:30
    28 1:1150 38 1:150 48 1:30
    29 1:1050 39 1:110 49 1:25
    Morris et al (2003)

I've been doing quite a bit of reading since I found out our risk factor, and it's amazing how many babies have turned out to be perfectly fine with much higher risk factors than yours or mine. Some doctors are even suggesting that we do away with the 1:???? numbers and talk percentages instead, as the numbers they use cause so much unnecessary anxiety if it's anything less than in the thousands.

Another way to look at it is to change the denominator - so for your risk factor of 1:187 your baby has less than 6/1000 chance of having downs - out of a 1000 babies, no more than 6 will actually have it.

In some countries only factors less than 1:100 get the "high risk" label.
    Last edited by Arlais; 08-10-2013 at 13:13. Reason: more info

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arlais For This Useful Post:

hwaterhouse  (08-10-2013),Jay11  (27-10-2013),Octoberbaby2010  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome Seahorse, congrats on your BFP and scan. Fingers crossed for a smooth run here on in and that your little bub keeps on growing.

Octoberbaby, you have some great news there and some options to think about. Sounds like you have a clear idea of what you want. Think about your situation and what is best for the both of you. If you think it'll be too stressful to concentrate on anything else, I'm sure you'll know within a few days and can make a decision about testing then.

Has anyone told their boss?
    I told mine today (partly because I heard she was in a good mood and partly because I know they're considering staffing for next year).
    It actually went really well and it feels great to not have to hide it, especially when close colleagues already knew.
    I hope it'll help her make some plans for next year and think if me favorably for the time I'm there. Still waiting for my blood test results and part of me feels I should have waited. Should get them back Thursday when I meet my midwife for the first time. Really looking forward to that. It's all getting real and exciting. It has been hard to accept it so far...I guess I've been scared to be too happy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsathoughts For This Useful Post:

Seahorse1xxx  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots - I told my boss a week and a half ago cause I had the whole week off work with MS and couldn't come up with an excuse that would warrant needing the whole week off sick!!! She was really great and super happy for me.

The question around what to do if you had a high risk factor / confirmed issue is so tough. I really don't know what we would do and I would find either outcome extremely difficult. Fingers crossed that it turns out fine for all of us.

Congrats LMM on your results!

I am off to the OB this Thursday for my first appointment. I love him and am really looking forward to seeing him. Plus we get to see bub again. I think the thing I am most excited about is getting my NT referral and finding out when he wants it done so I can book it. I have a massive training thing with work all week of 21st Oct, which would be 12w0d to 12w4d, and I won't be able to duck out and get it done. I am hoping he will let me do it early at 11w4d otherwise I will have to wait til 13w

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bedlover For This Useful Post:

LittleMissMagic  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    October, so sorry you are having to go through this but as Arlais has said the odds are still greatly in your favour that everything will be ok.

Bedlover, you should be able to have your NT scan at 11 weeks 4 days. With DS I had mine at 11 wks 3 days as I was flying overseas. Just make sure you check with the company who is doing the scan as some places tell you not to come before 12 weeks. I think the main reason for this is because sometimes people are not sure of their dates and there is a minimum CRL measurement needed to get an accurate NT measurement. Since we are sure of our dates it shouldn't be an issue so you could ask you OB to push for it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleMissMagic For This Useful Post:

bedlover  (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had cravings on and off so far, but today has by far been the weirdest food day.

Was feeling pretty average this morning and all I wanted was bacon and bread - so there was a quick stop at maccas for breakfast on the way to work.

There's a small supermarket down the road from work I wandered down to for lunch. Apparently fruit salad (i made myself) and corn chips is a great combo...

Then the kicker was dinner tonight - battered fish. I don't even LIKE fish! I avoid all seafood generally and I think it's been somewhere between 5-10 years since I last ate fish.

Yesterday I was feeling quite blurgh, even crying, then today very chirpy and happy once I had my bacon. I think I've entered a very strange phase of pregnancy :what:

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Arlais - very funny cravings. I was speaking to a lady about cravings and she said she hated fish but craved it with her 2nd pregnancy but not the 1st and now she still loves it and so does her 2nd born but her first born won't eat it! Strange how things work!

Good Luck to all getting test results, having tests and scan! Can't wait to hear more fantastic news!

ATM - I had really bad nights sleep as dreamt because I dreamt ahead of my pregnancy they said I already knew what the next 6 wks result would be so it was unfair to other pregnant ladies to do any more tests or scans so I'd have to wait another six weeks - I woke up angry! I also dreamt I broke my mouth plate I use at night to keep my teeth straight after I did Invisalign to straighten them instead of braces! I was super relieved this morning to see it was all in one piece!

In the real world I got my blood tests back yesterday for my initial screening and no deficiencies or issues found. Dr said it was obvious I'd been taking my Elevite with Iodine from the levels. So that's was great news!
    A bit nervous but also very excited to see Junior today at our 7.4wk check in scan which I think is a lot to do with my pregnancy dream

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay11 For This Useful Post:

Arlais  (09-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck for your scan today Jay! How exciting. Do you recommend that instead of braces?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app