+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Oh hun don't blame your boobs for not having enough goodness! Thats just ridiculous! I think your mum would be doing a better thing if she offered to help with some of your errands so you could feed bub. Anyway, it sounds like your mum (and your doctor) have no idea about establishing a successful breastfeeding relationship, so I would place little value on their advice and opinions.

If your bub is 7 weeks perhaps bub is going through a slightly delayed 6 week growth spurt. There are growth spurts at various stages and for a few days? bub will feed more often and act hungry... The feeding more often has the effect of increasing your milk supply which is what bub needs.

Also at 7 weeks I think bub sleeping through big chunks (7 hours) would be an exception and not the norm. If you want to bf, hang in there with the night wakings .... and the being stuck feeding during the day for chunks of time...for another month or two because chances are your bub will be sleeping longer stretches and feeding less then regardless of being bf or ff.

I agree with pp. If you really want to breastfeed then consider giving formula the flick for now (or at least until bub is older and your milk supply is more established). I am not anti formula feeding by any means, however formula top ups are often the start of the end when it comes to breastfeeding. The less time bub is on that boob, the less milk mummy makes. Then poor mummy thinks she doesn't have enough milk so gives up all together.

If you want to increase your milk supply eat porridge for breakfast, drink lots of water (at least 2L per day).... And don't diet.

Breastfeeding is hard and if you decide formula or mixed feeding is the way to go then that's ok. I just wanted to impart some of the things I've learned over the years so you can factor that into your plans.

Good luck!
    Completely agree with everything vicpark said here.

Set yourself small goals, I originally said six weeks until it established but then my one and only friend who bf for a longer period said it took around 12 weeks to be really easy etc. So that became my new goal. Somewhere along the line I stopped setting goals as it helped me not to focus on it and we are now 3 weeks away from 12 months bfing.

Have you thought about a wrap that you can bf in for when you need to run errands?

Also when times get tough I would recite the benefits to myself. Which also included a purely selfish reason: not having to pack bottles of formula to go out and if I got held up out I could never run out of formula because it was on tap.

Hth, but if at the end of the day you decide to mix feed or ff then that's ok. But if you want to continue exclusively bf then ignore the nay sayers and come here for your support if you don't have any irl.

I found bh to be a wealth of knowledge and support on bfing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The past couple of days yeah I have felt like its coming to an end (mainly because I had been giving the formula) ... BUT it will not, I won't let it!

Also in the mornings normally my boobs would feel really engorged but lately I havn't had that either.

I started taking Fenugreek tablets, but now wondering if I should have checked with my DR first to make sure they are safe but I have heard of so many others taking them to increase their milk supply. I started taking them on Monday, havn't noticed a change as yet.

I do have a Hug-A-Bub sling maybe I should figure that out a little better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That is totally normal, your boobs are getting used to what your baby does overnight and so supply and demand means you don't produce as much.

You can take fenugreek but it may not be necessary. I have been expressing and am stoked to get more than 30ml but I know I am producing more - babies are just way more efficient than a pump.

If you wanting to bf exclusively (totally up to you if you WANT to mix feed) I'd just put away the formula. Your baby doesn't sound hungry just because they sleep better with formula. But remember it's your choice and you do what you think is right for you guys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My bub is almost 5 months and exclusively bf. I had all of the same issues and worries about my supply. I take 2 fenugreek capsules three times a day. And also make sure i have porrige for breaky, two pieces of fruit as snacks and a healthy lunch and dinner. I also snack on almonds during the day. If i feel like my supply is low for a couple of days, i spend a day doing nothing much else except being close to bub and offering the breast more often. Oh, i also drink between 2 & 3 litres of wster a day.
    Good luck. Its hard work at times. But si rewarding!!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys you have made me feel so much better and a bit more confident. I should have come here first!

It is definately rewarding, I'm going to ditch the formula so its not even around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by withlovesiobhan View Post
    Thanks guys you have made me feel so much better and a bit more confident. I should have come here first!

It is definately rewarding, I'm going to ditch the formula so its not even around.
    That there is the best thing you can do for your supply and for your breastfeeding relationship. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I have been feeding her ALLLL day, she hasn't gone down for a sleep only for maybe a few minutes on me. She seems tired now but just seems to be fighting sleep I just keep putting her on the boob. I have sat her up and she will be content for a short while but god this is hard! Especially when I am getting tired myself.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPrint For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hang in there mumma, you are doing a great job and it will get easier

Thanks
    Reviews
    She seems to FINALLY be falling asleep now I just hope shes not hungry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is hard, but sounds like you're doing great. Remember, breasts never empty, they keep making milk. Hang in there, it does get better xxx