+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Difference in Formula Feed to Breast Feed?!

So I am just wondering... I am breastfeeding but have given bub a bottle of formula twice and when I do she completely zonks it and will sleep for hours (7.5 hours lastnight). She doesn't do this after breastfeeding even after giving her EBM where I know she has had the same amount if I was to give her formula. After breastfeeding at night she will sleep for about 5-6 hours after a lot of fussing and mucking around and during the day she doesnt sleep for long at all unless its on me. UGH! Hard work this stuff but I don't want to give up!
    She has been putting on weight normally, quite a lot actually. But am just wondering why she does this? And any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's completely normal. Formula is more difficult to digest so takes longer and they stay fuller for longer - hence sleeping longer.

Plus bf is supply and demand so it's good for your supply until it's fully regulated to feed frequently.

If bubs is thriving, ie not losing weight and interacting age appropriately then there is nothing to worry about. Plus 5-6 hours is great, I sometimes don't get that with my 7 1/2 month old!!

It's hard work but it can be great for the both of you

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (02-10-2013),Little Miss Sunshine  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When does supply fully regulate?

I forgot to mention bub is 7 weeks old.

It is hard work and most days I don't mind just sitting in front of the TV and feeding, it's just when I HAVE to do something (go to the shop etc) it gets a bit hard, bub is fussy during the day (not all days) but most.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I felt bad after giving her the formula cause she was just sound asleep I felt like I had FORCED the poor girl to go to sleep.
    I know that probably sounds silly as people feed their babies formula all the time, I guess I just wasnt used to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I actually found bf or ff made no difference in dds sleeping.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (02-10-2013),Stiflers Mom  (01-10-2013),SugarSkull  (12-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    I actually found bf or ff made no difference in dds sleeping.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    This, my DS was exactly the same in his sleeping - day and night breast fed and formula fed. In my case age made more of a difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm really doubting my milk supply... This evening I breast fed bubs, she was fussy and didnt seem full, I gave her a bit of formula and she heads straight off to sleep.
    Is my milk supply going? Is my milk lacking something?
    I really want to breast feed but I want bubs to be happy and full.
    I have had a bit of stress going on the past few days, does stress have that much of an effect on milk supply?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by withlovesiobhan View Post
    I'm really doubting my milk supply... This evening I breast fed bubs, she was fussy and didnt seem full, I gave her a bit of formula and she heads straight off to sleep.
    Is my milk supply going? Is my milk lacking something?
    I really want to breast feed but I want bubs to be happy and full.
    I have had a bit of stress going on the past few days, does stress have that much of an effect on milk supply?
    Hey don't stress hun first time breastfeeding is hard work and usually takes about three months to really get into the swing of things and establish a good milk supply. Just keep in mind the more you substitute with formula the more it will affect your milk supply because it encourages you to skip feeds . If you really want to fb then honestly ditch the formula and just concentrate feeding in demand I know it's stressful and tiring but you can do it with ds1 I inly made it to 3 months bf exclusively then did half bum half formula feeds with ds2 who is now 16 months I found it so much easier and bf exclusively for 12 months. Only way I got through was to set myself little goals ie bf exclusively for three months when I got there I set a new goal of another three months and so on works and you feel so proud accomplishing your goal! There is so much support out there to so your never alone the breast feeding association are great keep at it your doing and amazing job xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mara86 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much Mara it definately is hard work.

It was alot easier up until a couple of weeks ago where before that I could just stay home and sit and breast feed and I don't mind that at all. It's just the last couple of weeks I've had to do a few things and can't just sit around so have supplemented with formula so bub sleeps a while, if she has been sleeping for long I do pump, I pump into the Medela breast bags and while I thought I was getting about 100ml at a time it seems when I empty those bags into a bottle they seem to be about 30ml out so I end up with less expressed milk.

It doesn't help that my doctor says to just give a little top up of formula if bub doesn't sleep so much during the day (at night she will sleep a good 5 hour stretch) and also my Mum keeps saying things like "maybe your breastmilk hasn't got enough goodness in it" and "maybe your milk supply is low" she also says it's not fair on me to have to be sitting around all day feeding, which normally I don't mind anyway.
    So her saying these things makes me then doubt myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Oh hun don't blame your boobs for not having enough goodness! Thats just ridiculous! I think your mum would be doing a better thing if she offered to help with some of your errands so you could feed bub. Anyway, it sounds like your mum (and your doctor) have no idea about establishing a successful breastfeeding relationship, so I would place little value on their advice and opinions.

If your bub is 7 weeks perhaps bub is going through a slightly delayed 6 week growth spurt. There are growth spurts at various stages and for a few days? bub will feed more often and act hungry... The feeding more often has the effect of increasing your milk supply which is what bub needs.

Also at 7 weeks I think bub sleeping through big chunks (7 hours) would be an exception and not the norm. If you want to bf, hang in there with the night wakings .... and the being stuck feeding during the day for chunks of time...for another month or two because chances are your bub will be sleeping longer stretches and feeding less then regardless of being bf or ff.

I agree with pp. If you really want to breastfeed then consider giving formula the flick for now (or at least until bub is older and your milk supply is more established). I am not anti formula feeding by any means, however formula top ups are often the start of the end when it comes to breastfeeding. The less time bub is on that boob, the less milk mummy makes. Then poor mummy thinks she doesn't have enough milk so gives up all together.

If you want to increase your milk supply eat porridge for breakfast, drink lots of water (at least 2L per day).... And don't diet.

Breastfeeding is hard and if you decide formula or mixed feeding is the way to go then that's ok. I just wanted to impart some of the things I've learned over the years so you can factor that into your plans.

Good luck!
    Last edited by VicPark; 02-10-2013 at 05:57.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (02-10-2013),Mathermy  (02-10-2013),Stiflers Mom  (02-10-2013)