+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Who cares for child when both parents in hospital?

We have had an incident in our house recently where both parents needed to be hospitalised for food poisoning but I stayed home with DS as he was sleeping, it was midnight, and we have no support in our new home town. I was ok if I laid very still and eventually kept down some fluids so decided the paramedic should just take hubby as he is so sick he could not even walk.

But it got me thinking... What if I were just as sick as him and we both went to hospital. Do they have anyone to help care for your child if you have no one else? Like a volunteer or social worker or something? I hadn't even thought of this issue until it arose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In the hospital where I work that happened to a couple and the children stayed in the Children's ward (same hospital) as boarders as there was no one to look after then, this was only for 2 nights. If it was any longer the family would have needed to arrange for a family or friend to come and get them as there was no medical reason for the children to stay in the hospital.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimnus For This Useful Post:

Mummablue  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Boarders on the children's ward if you showed up with them (happens more often than you'd think especially with single mums when in labour) otherwise emergency temporary foster care. I'd imagine the police/social workers/docs would have a list of numbers of people who could take children for a night or two for emergency care.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Mummablue  (30-09-2013)