+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Also, what exactly is she teaching her daughter by doing that? "Boobs are so important, that I am saving for your operation in the future", "You are not perfect unless you undergo dramatic surgery" type thing. In my opinion it isn't even close to getting braces, not even close.

Er, not to mention that she is obviously so obsessed with her looks that she is projecting it onto her 4 month old daughter.

I would laugh so hard if she ended up a real bookworm, think Saffy off Ab Fab! Ha!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (30-09-2013),Ellewood  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's very, very sad and I feel for this child with such a shallow mother. There is a much deeper meaning to life, looks get you nowhere if there's nothing but a shallow perception of life underneath. I am getting really tired of this shallow cosmetic looks-obsessed era we live in. Marylin Monroe was bloody miserable!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Aanya  (30-09-2013),beebs  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm getting really tired of it too Fleetwood. Talk about first world problems. I am just so thankful I don't have a daughter, the pressure will be immense, it already is, it already was when I was a teen, but it will just get worse and worse. Totally depressing how self absorbed everyone is these days, myself included. I obsess over my looks because I wish I was prettier, I blame society and the media. How ridiculous is that, I am here, with my kids, with a house, we eat, play, have fun. We aren't overseas starving or in some atrocious war. When I think of it like that, I feel a bit sick. Gah!

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    I think it's very, very sad and I feel for this child with such a shallow mother. There is a much deeper meaning to life, looks get you nowhere if there's nothing but a shallow perception of life underneath. I am getting really tired of this shallow cosmetic looks-obsessed era we live in. Marylin Monroe was bloody miserable!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I'm getting really tired of it too Fleetwood. Talk about first world problems. I am just so thankful I don't have a daughter, the pressure will be immense, it already is, it already was when I was a teen, but it will just get worse and worse. Totally depressing how self absorbed everyone is these days, myself included. I obsess over my looks because I wish I was prettier, I blame society and the media. How ridiculous is that, I am here, with my kids, with a house, we eat, play, have fun. We aren't overseas starving or in some atrocious war. When I think of it like that, I feel a bit sick. Gah!
    I hear ya girl.

I think we need to take heart in the fact that while the media is more and more looks obsessed, there are billions of mums and dads out there in the world who teach and example to their daughters all the right messages, and that this mum is not in the majority. There's lots of fantastic young girls/women out there, in all countries of the world, who give me hope!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I know my eldest daughter and DSD are already feeling these pressures although they deal with it quite differently- one is desperate to conform, the other to rebel (makes me a wee bit proud!)
    We've all been there, wishing to be prettier/thinner/etc. -we will never accept ourselves when women like her in the article are given a voice to place this ridiculous pressure on the next generation.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    She's certainly not the first mum to push her daughter into a career that she wanted for herself (I'm thinking of the pageant and theatre kids here).
    It's sad but hopefully by the time her daughter is old enough to even think of a career (or plastic surgery) her mum will have grown up and think back on that article with embarrassment.
    The future is so uncertain, who knows what standards the models of the future will have (hopefully a more healthy body type will be popular), that's even if the kid wants to pursue a modeling career to begin with (kids do love to rebel ).

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app