+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bond clean question

We are moving out of our house this week. The house we rented before this was a private rental and when we had the bond inspection it took him literally 2 mins to go through the whole 2 story townhouse and then tell me I had the whole bond back. I have a feeling the real estate will be a bit more thorough with their inspection! So a few questions, do you usually attend the bond inspection? I thought being there for it might be a good idea to make sure they don't rip me off but not sure! Also how long do you allow to do your cleaning in the property you are moving out of?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I usually do a good 2 days! Agents are usually pretty thorough, usually they give you a checklist of things to help you. Otherwise use the entry condition report and just work through the different areas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The real estates my mum and I last dealt with have been thourough to the point of ridiculous. For example, mum just moved out of a house that was on a dirt road in the middle of state forest. They checked the place 3 days after she cleaned it and then complained about spider webs and dust. Mum had to dust 3 times a day if she wanted to keep it dust free. I would clean every nook and cranny then take photos of every single area in detail. I have even had one house get checked after an open house during rain and storm season then complain about leaves in the garage and dirt on the floors in the house. Photograph everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never attended any of my final inspections, and it hasn't caused me any issues by not being there.

Real Estates are usually quite thorough and sometimes overly picky, so it's important to follow their end of lease cleaning guide and do the best you can to tackle every nook and cranny. If you miss a few little things, they'll call you back to clean/fix them.

I've done 4 end of lease cleans since 2010, and here's how long they each took:

Move 1: 3 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment, lived in for 8 years. Took 3 adults about 8 hours.

Move 2: 3 bedroom 2.5 bathroom two storey house, lived in for 18 months. Paid professional cleaner 7 hours to do full clean. He missed a few spots so I had to come back, but it was money well spent.

Move 3: 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom house, lived in 5 months. Took my mum and I about 6 hours. House was new when we moved in so it wasn't a big clean up job.

Move 4: 4 bedroom 1.5 bathroom house, lived in 17 months. Paid a cleaner to do 4 hours of cleaning. She took care of most of the inside, but naturally this wasn't long enough to do every little thing. I probably spent an additional 4 hours of my own time there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've done two bond cleans this year and had no issues what so ever (one house we had lived in for roughly 3 years and the other 6 months). I was never present for a bond inspection but I suppose you could always ask if you are concerned!

Some tips for a bond clean; Dust the door/window frames, vaccuum the window tracks and wipe with a wet sponge and scrub the oven. Obviously every real estate is different, but these were the main things our agents were looking for. We've always kept our properties meticulous though, so that could be why they weren't over the top with the bond inspections..

You can buy those magic sponges that take off any marks on the walls from furniture etc. Get a new flat mop and some mild cleaner and use this to wipe over all of the internal walls.. Fill sinks with hot water and a bit of vinegar (or bleach if this is what you use) and let it sit for 15 minutes (or until its cool enough for you to stick your hand in to pull out the plug!!) then just wipe over with a paper towel to dry it off. Hot water and vinegar is an excellent solution for any stainless steel sinks, because it gives it a great shine and makes it look really clean.
    Give everything a really good clean - vaccuum, mop, clean mirrors, windows (inside and out).

Our cleans took two people one day (or about 5 hours). We always had to do a professional carpet clean and pest inspection as part of our contract prior to vacating as well. You could probably find someone on gumtree or something that can do this for a reasonable price..
    If you are concerned, you could try and hire someone to do the clean for you too and that way if the real estate are not satisfied with anything they cleaners will have to come back.

The second house we lived in, the previous tenants had apparently paid over $800 for a bond clean, pest inspection and carpet clean. They had to have the cleaners come back because the oven was filthy, and also there was dirt and marks on things (like in the cupboards). The pest inspector and carpet cleaners also had to come back after we had moved in because there were fleas in the carpets

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow so much awesome advice, thanks everyone! Gosh it all seems so overwhelming lol. Really should get up and do something but I don't even know where to start!
    The paint in DD's room is a bit chipped, I don't think we would be able to get time to get a tin of paint to re-paint it, are they going to charge me hundreds for this?!

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1380506395.954374.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    Wow so much awesome advice, thanks everyone! Gosh it all seems so overwhelming lol. Really should get up and do something but I don't even know where to start!
    The paint in DD's room is a bit chipped, I don't think we would be able to get time to get a tin of paint to re-paint it, are they going to charge me hundreds for this?!
    Is it little brown chips and a larger purple-looking chip where the paint is peeled off? The photo is a bit unclear on my computer.

Chipped paint is considered 'general wear and tear', so if it's not really obvious or there isn't a dent on the wall, you may get away with it? If it was me and I had time, I'd probably make attempts to disguise it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That looks like the roof tiles has a leak and it's damaging the inside roof.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry photo isn't clear at all, it's chipped paint. Her room is a very pale blue but it was obviously purple underneath and has chipped off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I think I've attended one bond inspection and I've moved more times then I care to add up..lol ( I think 15 or so).
    I always put in a good day or 2 of solid cleaning. I guess it depends how much cleaning I've done along the way though.

The photo is a bit unclear. What's your agent like? Are they generally quite fair?

Personally I'd lodge the bond refund form first so that if there are any disputes, the agent will have to pay to take you to tribunal.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app