+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 3 year old out of control :-(

I'm completely at my wits end with my 3 year old DS. I feel like I have failed at motherhood. :-(

From the second he wakes up it is one temper tantrum after the next, won't listen to anyone so we are constantly pulling him away from danger, he has turned into a huge bully, hitting other children, snatching toys off them that they are playing with, the list goes on and on.

I don't know what to do to help him. I work from home but they way things are going I am contemplating sending him to daycare full time as I just can't cope with him anymore. His little sister is now starting to copy his behaviour as she thinks that is what she should be doing too.

Does anyone have advise at all? I feel like a complete failure :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you looked at his diet? Google the failsafe diet - there are a lot of foods that can trigger aggressive /bad behaviour

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big hugs! This parenting gig is tough sometimes hey?!

Firstly I want to ask what boundaries & consequences do you have in place?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is on a low sugar and additives diet as sugar is a big trigger for him.

We have tried rewards for good behaviour, time outs for bad, taking toys away, talking to him and I know I shouldn't but at times I have had to give him a smack on the bottom I'm not proud of it but that's how bad it has gotten.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Daycare for a couple days a week might just be what he needs. Sounds like he's full of energy, possibly a little bored and under stimulated. Playing and being around other kids in a nutural environment may teach him the correct way to relate to his peers and adultS. It will also give you a break and time to make a plan for his unwanted behaviors at home.
    do you have behavioural issues that run in the family?
    goodluck, my dd is 3 also and has her days. She does however attend daycare just one day and comes home exhausted and very well behaved! It's refreshing to have that break from her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Daycare for a couple days a week might just be what he needs. Sounds like he's full of energy, possibly a little bored and under stimulated. Playing and being around other kids in a nutural environment may teach him the correct way to relate to his peers and adultS. It will also give you a break and time to make a plan for his unwanted behaviors at home.
    do you have behavioural issues that run in the family?
    goodluck, my dd is 3 also and has her days. She does however attend daycare just one day and comes home exhausted and very well behaved! It's refreshing to have that break from her.
    And maybe send dd too so that you can push through the work on those days and free up a bit more time on other days. I tried working from home once and just couldn't handle it, hats off to you for making it work for this long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First of all
    Dd is 3 and it is a real struggle somedays.

Do you think it could be boredom?
    I'm a SAHM and somedays I just have to wear her out.
    We have started taking the dog for a walk in the mornings, first thing when she wakes up.
    I hold her hand and have the dogs leash in the other hand (you could take you dd too or just have her in the pram) and she has a great time stopping to look at flowers, different cars that are out, birds, she might take a bucket somedays and collect twigs, rocks etc for when we get home.
    She is much more relaxed when we get home and lets me get things done.
    Other days I will take her to play dates, she loves hanging out in the gardening section of bunnings and looking at all the different plants and flowers.
    Somedays I really don't have time to do all that but I just have to make time otherwise I'm just dealing with a wild and out of control child.
    Realistically she would do great a day or two in daycare, it's something I've been meaning to look into.

With discipline, I would recommend looking around at some techniques that suit you and your family.
    On here is great, google, ask a health nurse then find a book about the discipline you chose and have a read.
    I've found parenting books to be a big help as it helps me understand my child more, feel more confident and to be more consistent (with discipline I've found consistency is the key for us)

Good luck.
    It's just sounds like he is full of energy and has a high wired brain that constantly has to learn/see/do new things.
    Sometimes bad behavior is just pent up energy they need to release, I just try to release that energy earlier on and on more productive things before the total toddler tantrum bullsh*t gets unleashed

~Bruins~

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

Jarylee  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so i would start by writing down a clear list of family rules. Sit down and explain them to your 3 year old and explain the consequences. Have a clear set of consequences for everyone to follow. If he breaks a rule give him a warning (in our family hitting is straight to a consequence.) if he does it again follow through with the consequence and explain what he did that was wrong. I would reccomend sticking to one consequence and be extremely consistent. Even if it seems like it's not working, stick with it for at least a month. Have a basic routine that you follow each day. Get him out the house & being active, crafts, stories etc. let him play with water & get dirty in mud etc. Daycare one or two days a week may be a great option for you to get some work done and him to get some stimulation outside the home.

Remember you are in control! Confidence & consistency are the keys. Your doing a great job x