+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    My 1 & 2yo have never had lessons, we will probably start at around 4yo when they are able to listen to direction well in a class situation. I am not worried about drowning because I will never ever ever leave them in a situation where they are not u der my very close supervision near water. I dont think its wise to be complacent around water whether toddlers can swim or not, they should always have close supervision either way. I also dont agree with 'you never know what can happen'. Yes, I do. I know I will never allow my child to be ununsupervised around water.
    A toddler drowned in the town next to ours in a couple of inches of rainwater that had filled an empty trough. All the kids were playing at someone's house and the child slipped through a sliding door. She was only gone a matter of minutes and she was gone. Forever. You never know what water other people have lying around. These parents are in no way negligent, just a tragic accident. It can happen so fast and it is silent.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    But how did you do that with all of your kids, when none of them could swim? You only have one pair of hands etc?? I'd be interested to know, that is what stops me taking them down to the pool.
    I'm trying to think how I did it, um, I don't know, I just did lol. Kids can wait on the side etc i guess. I have put my kids in with other instructors that work for me too. Have you got someone who can go with you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My Kids can't, one is on the spectrum and has no sense of danger and basically doesn't do anything I ask, and another is 2 and has no sense of danger and is a cheeky 2 year old who also doesn't do what i ask. The other two would be fine and sit on the side if I asked them. My DH works shift work - but worse, he can't swim either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    I'm trying to think how I did it, um, I don't know, I just did lol. Kids can wait on the side etc i guess. I have put my kids in with other instructors that work for me too. Have you got someone who can go with you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Dd is 3 and swims with her arm floaties. Not a professional lesson in her life just mum and dad taking her to the pool regularly since she was about 9mths old. She is very confident In water, that was our aim. The fact she can swim/paddle from one edge of the pool to the other is a bonus.
    Can she swim without the floaties? I think they are a great aid to use for short term as it teaches them how to move through the water etc but they need to come off pretty soon after so they spend time
    Feeling their actual body weight in the water. It's a great start though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    My Kids can't, one is on the spectrum and has no sense of danger and basically doesn't do anything I ask, and another is 2 and has no sense of danger and is a cheeky 2 year old who also doesn't do what i ask. The other two would be fine and sit on the side if I asked them. My DH works shift work - but worse, he can't swim either.
    It would be good if you could find out about get in the game vouchers and have a term of
    Swimming lessons paid for by the government.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've been to 4 different swim schools and not once have I seen any of them use floaties. I don't think they're a good idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd have to hire a babysitter to look after the others ones, and then also take the other two separately, so 3 times a week. This is why I always get overwhelemd and think we'll do it next season! DS1 has intensive swimming at school for 2 weeks soon, I'll continue him on after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    It would be good if you could find out about get in the game vouchers and have a term of
    Swimming lessons paid for by the government.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 6 yo old has had lessons from 6m onwards, she can sort of swim but there is no way she would save herself if she had to swim in sea or if she got disorientated. She isn't particularly coordinated but absolutely loves swimming and her weekly lesson. My 3 yo can almost swim as well - he didn't have formal lessons until last term but he is gung-Ho and determined. Very very few children 6 and under have perfect/beautiful technique at the pools and lessons I've watched.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    My partner & I are currently looking in to putting my son in lessons, he's nearly 5 months old. I'm curious to know your opinion as a professional.

Do you think that babies are better off starting that young? Or do you think it's better to wait until they have more of an understanding of what's going on. My family live on the coast, so my son will be around water and the beach all the time... So to me, water safety is essential.

Do you think that parents who choose not to teach their kids how to swim 'because they don't have a pool or water' are potentially causing problems for the future? Is it harder to pick up swimming as an older child?
    I think it's never too young to start. Especially if you are somewhere that you can swim all year around so they get that continuity. As much as anything, it's great, fun and bonding time with bub while introducing them to a very important life skill.

You can save your money and just take bubs regularly yourself or join a class with other parents and an instructor for more experience as well as fun.

So my answer is, it's never too early to get them in the water one way or another.

And yes, I do think every child should have the right to learn to swim as early as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I've been to 4 different swim schools and not once have I seen any of them use floaties. I don't think they're a good idea.
    I would never use floaties in a lesson. I have put them on my kids when they are first introduced to water as it helps with learning how to move through the water. I can tell kids in my lessons who have swum around with floaties or back bubbles or similar, they just seem to naturally know how to move.