+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Swimming lessons aren't cheap. You'd be amazed how many people can't afford them.
    Yeah. They certainly add up. I'm glad ds is starting but I'm also aware of the extra cost.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Deleted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Neither of my kids have had swimming lessons...so over priced if you ask me.
    In the summer i would take me kids once a week to the pools, in the winter maybe once a month.
    I put floaties on both my kids and about 12 months ago took them off my daughter, (she is almost 5 now, so when she was just 4). She swims very well. Under water, kicks, floats, dives. Shes just as good (IMO) as her friends who have had lessons.
    DS is almost 3 and still in floaties. I will be taking them off him around the same age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    DS1 can sort of swim as he did his first couple of years of schooling in QLD, where swimming seems to be part of the curriculum at most public schools.
    DS2 on the otherhand can't swim at all.
    I'd like to get both of them lessons but as others have pointed out, they are so so expensive!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids are not confident in the water.

DS is 9...we tried swimming lessons but it just didn't work for him. He hated it and then when DD was born it became almost impossible. We don't spend a lot of time around the water but i do keep a very close eye on him when we do. He has school swimming next term and I am hoping to get him into a 1 week intensive course in January.

DD is 3...and I take her swimming every now and then. I am hoping once I start work, DH will take her to swimming lessons on a Sunday when I am working. It is not a major priority for me though as we spend so little time around the water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd is 3 and swims with her arm floaties. Not a professional lesson in her life just mum and dad taking her to the pool regularly since she was about 9mths old. She is very confident In water, that was our aim. The fact she can swim/paddle from one edge of the pool to the other is a bonus.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lakey For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd is 3 and she can't swim.

She has sever eczema, we took her when she was 6m and it flared up horribly, we tried again when she was 2yo and she had bleeding aggressive eczema for 4 months from the chlorine.
    To the point we needed steroid injections to get it under control.
    We also have water filters on all the house hold taps as the small amount of chlorine in the town water has the same effect, her washing her hands without the filters on will have her hands scaled and bleeding, same with the shower.

When she goes to school she won't be going swimming (unless her eczema is better by that age)
    We have however been taking her to the beach since 6m to get her use to the water and teaching her safety around water.
    We have just found a lady who does swimming lessons at her house in a slat water pool so we are giving that a go in the hopes it doesn't effect we skin.

There could be many reasons why a school aged child can't swim.
    - allergies
    - fear
    - parents not having the funds
    - child might not have gotten the hang of it even after many years of lessons.

I don't think its wise to jump to the first conclusion and think the parents have been lazy.
    Some parents might have put more effort in but haven't gotten the results other parents have had.

~Bruins~

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (30-09-2013),River Song  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD who just turned 5 can swim about 5m before she gets tired and needs help from the instructor. Her technique is terrible. She has come so far though, she had huge issues with breath control and now it's finally clicked she is working in her technique. She's been in lessons since 6 months old and will continue to be in lessons until she can swim 50m unaided.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    It's not the council that sets the lesson price. It most cases the lessons and canteen are completely up to the operator. This is why I only charge $9 so people can afford it. I still make money off it and people can generally afford it. I would love to be able to offer a couple of struggling families son free lessons but not sure how to go about it.
    Operate our pool please. :P

As for the struggling family can you give a voucher to a church or something and ask them to pass on the voucher anonymously? You're such a sweetheart!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (11-12-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    I think it also has a lot to do with the instructor/s. Kids can tend to stagnate a bit if the teachers are notbon top of it.
    He has been to 2 different swimming centres with many different instructors. He is just not as coordinated as some children.