+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS started at 6mo. He likes water but hated the lessons. Anyway we had to stop when his eczema flared up so badly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    DH has basically taught the younger ones to swim. He's a strong swimmer and they actually listen to him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    I agree swimming lessons are so expensive in a lot of places. I charge $90 for ten lessons or $10 a lesson if you can't pay upfront. I have heard of lessons being over $20 per lesson. I think that's too much. That would be $100 a week for our family which we would pay because its a priority but a lot of people can't afford that.

There should be more grants and things available for swimming lessons. School swimming just isn't enough for kids that aren't natural in the water.

My kids are 5 and 8 and are starting swimming lessons for the first time next week. I'm only able to do it because of the Qld government grant that entitles kids to $150 voucher to participate in sports, if you have a health care card.

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/funding/...etstarted.html

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lolly Legs For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (30-09-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We started evie at about 7-8 months. She is now 2y3m and is pretty good- can swim independently for a few metres, and able to swim to side of pool and monkey along the wall until she finds steps.
    I also take her to local pool once or twice a week and swim with her.
    Although I can do all of the things a swimming teacher can do she seems to really benefit from lessons (and I thinj thats because she sees him as a teacher and enjoys learning from him)

Swimming lessons are expensive but I always look at it as $15 a week plus $5/10 extra pool time at local pool works out to be an extra hours wage at work which I'll happily do (only do 15 hours at the moment anyway) and id rather cut back on takeaway or something else as she really enjoys swimming and is confident in the water.

You never know when something might happen. Just last week she was at my mil when she fell into the pool while helping my mil clean the pool- I trust my mil a lot and she is alwayd very cautious but just goes to show how easy an accident can happen. My mil jumped into the pool to save her- but evie had already started to swim to side (she was in a panic but still managed to swim confidently which was great to hear) and I hope it never has to happen again!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nicolier For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No, they can't. I have a 5 and 3 year old (and baby). I wanted to take my eldest to swim lessons from early on but unfortunately when I looked i to it i couldn't find a class that was affordable and ran at a time I could attend - then I had more babies making it impossible (no one to watch my other kids). She had been in friends pools but not enough to learn to swim, so by the time school lessons came around my DD could not swim and still can't.
    I do think it is extremely important but swim lessons are out of reach for many, unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    7yo DD can swim and has been able to for a while. 5yo DS1 is almost there, but no 3yo DS2 and 1yo DS3 can't swim, though DS2 is capable of keeping himself afloat.

Never been to a swimming lesson in their lives, but we spend a LOT of time at the beach and pool, so they are around water and it's important to us that they learn to swim, but they have done so by watching us and others and listening to us, I guess, same way I learned to swim all those years ago

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not yet. DD did lessons for a couple of terms as a baby, but had lots of ear and respiratory problems so we pulled her out. She started again just before she turned 3 and is about to start her fourth term. She enjoys it but is definitely not a natural.
    DS is 10 mths and we will take him along for a swim each week when DD has her lesson. We might start lessons for him at around 2ish I think (finances permitting).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Yes they can and are beautiful swimmers. I run a pool and teach swimming but they are also naturally athletic dd3 who is four taught himself to swim a year ago and was swimming the lap within days. 3 eldest swim competitively.

The only one that can't us dd2 who is 2 and that's because she was in a plaster cast all last season . We have just opened for the season and I don't think it will being before she can swim.

It's the best job, watching my kids and other families swim all day and I love that they get so much practice.
    My partner & I are currently looking in to putting my son in lessons, he's nearly 5 months old. I'm curious to know your opinion as a professional.

Do you think that babies are better off starting that young? Or do you think it's better to wait until they have more of an understanding of what's going on. My family live on the coast, so my son will be around water and the beach all the time... So to me, water safety is essential.

Do you think that parents who choose not to teach their kids how to swim 'because they don't have a pool or water' are potentially causing problems for the future? Is it harder to pick up swimming as an older child?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Where we live the government offers 5 free swimming lessons to al children under 5. Do other states have similar programs? It's such a great idea as for parents who can't afford it it gives the parents tools to work with at home. I think lessons should either be free for all kids or heavily subsidized. I don't think something like swimming should be only available to those who can afford it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolly Legs View Post
    My kids are 5 and 8 and are starting swimming lessons for the first time next week. I'm only able to do it because of the Qld government grant that entitles kids to $150 voucher to participate in sports, if you have a health care card.

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/funding/...etstarted.html
    It's Great isn't it. We used get in the game vouchers for soccer for three of our kids this years.