+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope. They are 3 & 1. I'm 29 and can just float. Dh learnt to swim when he joined the army at 19.

We don't usually go near the water.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS will be 2 in November and hasn't had any lessons yet. We'll wait until his grommets grow out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sonja makes a good point but the other thing that stood out to me was that you said your kids love swimming. Not all babies/tots love swimming! I totally understand parents not wanting to continue lessons at the time if they have a screaming toddler or one that hates water - it's $200 at our pool for (10?) sessions! If DS screamed and hated it I would be reluctant to spend that much.

I took DS as a baby for a semester but honestly felt like I could just as easily take him to the local pool myself and do that stuff so I did. I plan on starting up lessons again this summer and he has just turned 3.

Also when they're that young it requires a parent with time to do it. It's harder for parents with more than one child and single parents, working parents etc.

In an ideal world yes I'm sure we'd all happily trudge off to swimming lessons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My children have never had paid swimming lessons. My DH taught DS1 to swim when he was 4. His technique isnt perfect but he's getting there. I was taught to swim by my Dad.

DS2 only started having a bath without crying at 2.5, so there is no way he'd be up for lessons. He's only been in a pool twice because he refuses and I refuse to force him.

As for am I worried about drowning? Sure, but my children aren't ever around water without constant close supervision from myself or DH, but usually both of us. We dont have a pool and neither does any family members where they would be likely to stay the night.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with Sonja.

Next term is costing us $180 for 10 weeks, plus we're paying $64 for the school lessons (which IMO are more fluff then actual lesson). We can afford it but we only have one child. If we had a second or third child then it would be a struggle.

I can't understand why council pools charge so much? Shouldn't something as valuable as swimming lessons be subsidised or free for in-school lessons?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (11-12-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (30-09-2013),Mod-Myztik  (30-09-2013),SoThisIsLove  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only signed my 3 DDs up for lessons this year, and I'm glad I waited. 6 months in and the 7 & 6 yr olds can swim 25 meters free, back and recovery back. My almost 5 yr old can swim 25 back, recovery back and 10 free (still having trouble coordinating breathing and arms).

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Nearly 3 year old DS can jump in and dog paddle to the side of the pool and get to the stairs and get out , he's been in our pool since he was 3 months old and loves the water, I tried him with private swimming lessons at 2 but felt it was too young and will try again maybe this summer - he loves the pool and going to the beach , Personally as long as he knows about water safety and enjoys it is fine by us now but I would like him to know how to swim by the time he starts school so about 5 - plus DH did nippers so wants him to try that which starts at 5!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    I agree with Sonja.

Next term is costing us $180 for 10 weeks, plus we're paying $64 for the school lessons (which IMO are more fluff then actual lesson). We can afford it but we only have one child. If we had a second or third child then it would be a struggle.

I can't understand why council pools charge so much? Shouldn't something as valuable as swimming lessons be subsidised or free for in-school lessons?
    It's not the council that sets the lesson price. It most cases the lessons and canteen are completely up to the operator. This is why I only charge $9 so people can afford it. I still make money off it and people can generally afford it. I would love to be able to offer a couple of struggling families son free lessons but not sure how to go about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    DD1 (8) can swim 50 m freestyle and is in surf club so swimming is a huge part of her life.

DD2 struggles with lessons as she has separation anxiety and hates the classes with 4 other people in them. Lots of time wasted standing around. We do one on one lessons at a pool near us every summer for her. She's 4 and is very confident in water (but can't do more than dog paddle). DS1 had lessons when he was 1 and it was a nightmare as he completely refused to participate. I had DD2 crying the whole time and him screaming so we stopped. They both love swimming but I haven't found lessons that work for him yet. We have 4 kids so I don't really have time to go to lessons and watch him scream through the entire class. Both kids do surf club as well

I agree with BRV I think lessons at 6 months are fine if you have time but completely unessential in the scheme of things. I also agree with Luna about school lessons. They seem to be a box ticking exercise as they are so short.

So no it doesn't surprise me at all. OP it's great your kids love swimming and are good at it but that's not the norm for everybody.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Also, If you can afford lessons, it's easy to teach your own kids to swim. Simply by takibg them to the pool regularly and playing water games they will learn.

There is a fantastic website called U swim that has basic lesson plans you can print out for free! It's really good and recommended anyone wanting to spend time with their young children in the water but can't or don't want to pay. Some of my lessons are based on u swim.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (11-12-2013),Chippa  (30-09-2013),FrothyFrog  (30-09-2013),giggle berry  (30-09-2013),kimbo  (04-10-2013),Let it Go  (02-10-2013),Mod-Myztik  (30-09-2013),Sonja  (30-09-2013),SoThisIsLove  (30-09-2013)