+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I started my DD1 at 6 months, but I feel classes for that age are a bit of a crock.

At 2, my dd1 started again. She's 5 now and can swim. She still does lessons and is up to stroke development.

My 3 year old DS didn't start until 3, but he was confident enough as we always took him in with us. He has been having lessons for 2 months and can already swim a few metres, but obviously needs a lot of work.

My 9 month old dd2 will start getting exposed to the pool and the beach now that the weather is warming up. She will start lessons at 3.

I'm not worried about her falling in as we don't have a pool.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Also just want to add that I have changed swim schools 3 times before finding the right one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes they can and are beautiful swimmers. I run a pool and teach swimming but they are also naturally athletic dd3 who is four taught himself to swim a year ago and was swimming the lap within days. 3 eldest swim competitively.

The only one that can't us dd2 who is 2 and that's because she was in a plaster cast all last season . We have just opened for the season and I don't think it will being before she can swim.

It's the best job, watching my kids and other families swim all day and I love that they get so much practice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It is scary how many kids I see come through with the school groups that can't swim. Even as high as grade 4z. My ds who is 9 had to literally rescue his friend on a recent excursion. He swun underneath him to get his head out of the water and then took him to the side where he coughed up blood.

So scary, the teachers must have been being complacent because it was an older Group (grades 4-7) and I'm really proud of ds.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (11-12-2013),giggle berry  (30-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree swimming lessons are so expensive in a lot of places. I charge $90 for ten lessons or $10 a lesson if you can't pay upfront. I have heard of lessons being over $20 per lesson. I think that's too much. That would be $100 a week for our family which we would pay because its a priority but a lot of people can't afford that.

There should be more grants and things available for swimming lessons. School swimming just isn't enough for kids that aren't natural in the water.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (11-12-2013),FrothyFrog  (30-09-2013),mrsboyts  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD can swim really well in terms of moving around in the water, however I have had a lot of trouble finding a good teacher/class and her freestyle and backstroke isn't very good despite spending thousands on lessons over the years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I started my DD1 at 6 months, but I feel classes for that age are a bit of a crock.
    I feel the same way. We took DS at 6 months and didn't really find it worthwhile. He's nearly 21 months now and he still hasn't gone back for a few reasons, it's freezing here, we'll do it eventually and tbh at the moment we just don't have time.

we are never around pools. We went to a river over the weekend and he is never out of arms length or sight. I'm not worried. We'll get there eventually and until then we know we need to be hyper vigilant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have tried lessons with my nearly 3yo DS twice and he hates them! its not the water, he loves that, its the structure of lessons and having to do what everyone else is doing when he'd rather splash around at his own pace. So I've given up and we always take him ourselves, about 2-3 times a month. He loves it, and we are teaching him ourselves how to swim. Lessons don't suit everyone.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, she is 5 and been in lessons since 2. We used to live on a canal so it was essential to us that she have lessons. She's a bit of a natural and we currently live in a house with a pool. I've seen kids over the years in her classes who try so hard but really struggle as its just not something that comes naturally to them.

I only had school lessons and agree that it was not enough. I went and had more lessons at 29 as I was becoming more scared of the water due to lacking confidence in my swimming ability. I'd highly recommend it!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our kids are 7 and 4 and can swim. DD (4) is now starting to learn backstroke. We stopped DSs lessons once he had freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke sorted.