+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Not yet but am enrolling both my kids this summer. Eldest one has a fear of water on head so will be interesting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    Do you get gastro from pools??? Noooo 😕😩
    Absolutely. Kids who've had gastro are not supposed to swim for 7 days after symptoms clear. Very easy to get sick from pools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    ds 14 never enjoyed lessons so he's not very good at his strokes but he is confident to muck about with his mates in backyard pools. I wouldn't be comfortable with him swimming in the surf out of depth. dd 12 loves swimming lessons and it helped that one of her friends has a pool and a mum who is the local pool swim teacher and life saver, so dd got heaps of lessons each summer. dd 8 is also on her way to be a good swimmer and loves her lessons as does ds 7. dd 2 has only ever paddled in a pool. I wish we had a pool so the kids could spend more time in the water. Our school doesn't have a pool either so that is a big let down come swimming lessons at school. They only have 8 lessons per yr over a two week period for preps- yr 4...it's not enough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    This is why we stopped going. DS ended up sick after each lesson. Thankfully not gastro, but ear/cold type things and I felt like he'd recover from one only to go to a lesson again and catch another.
    That's why I stopped taking DS1 initially too. But didn't realise gastro was a big one eiw!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS has had swimming lessons for 6 1/2yrs and can probably go 10mts on his own. He is confident in the pool but seriously uncoordinated (he's a sinker not a swimmer!) and lacks confidence in his ability. We are contemplating stopping his lessons, he doesn't seem to improve and just wants to play.

DD at nearly 4 has lots of confidence and more coordinated than DS but has taken to mucking around but we will continue with her lessons for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes they can. 9, 6 and 4.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. 6yrs. He has been doing lessons since he was a toddler and more recently his school offers swimming as part of the phys ed programme.

Loves to swim in pools and the surf. Doesn't hesitate to jump in and is confident in pool safety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeForWine View Post
    Not yet but am enrolling both my kids this summer. Eldest one has a fear of water on head so will be interesting
    Ds was the same. He hates washing his hair and freaks out when water gets in his eyes in the shower. But in the pool- we can't get him out and he will play completely un-phased by water splashing all over his eyes and swim underwater eyes open

Go figure?!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MadeWithLove For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    I'm just curious about people's experience with really little ones? Many people say they don't learn much but the young ones where we go ( from 6 weeks) are all learning to turn around and go back to the edge if they fall in and not panic if they do fall in and find themselves under the water solotsof under water stuff. I kind of think this is really important? Do other schools not teach this to the babies? We've only ever been to the one woman so not sure happens elsewhere.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    The baby class at the swim school we go to teach water safety. How to turn and get back to the wall if they've fallen in plus how to float on their backs. I'd never seen it with other swim schools until we moved to SA.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep I think swimming is a priority. We have a pool now but only put it in last summer. My kids are 6, 4 and 2.5 and we live on the Gold Coast. There are too many creeks, lakes, canals etc around most people to say 'we don't have a pool'.

I don't believe in 4 or 6 month olds swimming. Waste of money in my opinion so young.

But my girls do a private one on one lesson each at $45 each per week and 2.5 year old does 15 mins at $20 private once a week. The girls swim wonderfully and 6 year old all strokes. The 4 year old I push it for excercise as she is prone to obesity so we have to watch her and she has a development delay (PDD NOS) so it's a great all round thing for her. She swims the length of our pool freestyle and is very confident.

I do think even if you can't afford lessons you can google the basics and go to the local public pool regularly and teach what you can to your child.