+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm the same about swimming. I always thought it was like...you learn to walk you learn to swim. ..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My son has just turned 5, and he can sort of swim. He can get from one side of the lesson pool to the other now, but is still learning how to do a proper stroke.

He was in lessons since 6 months, but he is a naturally anxious and cautious child and was always quite scared. Then around 2, he had an old school type sink or swim teacher, and he regressed and we had to take him out of lessons for quite a while.

So by 3.5, he was at the stage where he wouldn't put his head under, wouldn't jump in and would clutch on to the teacher for dear life.

It's taken over a year of private lessons with a very understanding teacher to get him to the stage he's at now, where he happily goes under, does big jumps and swims across the pool.

But, at $36 per 30 minute lesson, I can see why a lot of people don't do it.

I have a 12mo as well, and I haven't bothered with baby lessons as I think they are a bit of a waste of time as they just splash around, having gone through them already. I will probably put him in lessons next year though as he's a very outgoing adventurous baby so I think he will enjoy swimming.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is almost 6 - has had 2 terms of swimming lessons when he was 2yo and about to start again in term 4. He can swim a few metres under water but can't co ordinate his swimming and breathing to keep going for more than a breath, so no, I don't think he could save himself.

DD is 2.5yo and she's also starting lessons next term.

One time pre kids DP and I were at a local wave pool and a grandma and mum were talking by the side of the pool when her toddler jumped into the water - they just continued talking. I yelled to DP to go and get him but before he got to him the toddler just popped up from the water and was swimming around O_O the grandma and mum jumped in when the waves started and moved to the deeper end still talking and the toddler was still just swimming around during the waves bopping up and down every now and then - completely unassisted. I asked how old he was because I was so amazed and he was 20 months old!! Incredible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Wow, big thread, I'm not reading it all.

Anyway, to answer the OP....DS can swim. He didn't really go near water between the ages of 3 and 5, but he recently did an intensive swimming program with his school (he's 6), and apparently he can swim just fine now, I guess he's one of the lucky kids who picks this sort of thing up without much prior practice.

DD is 2 in a week and the challenge I have with getting her into lessons is that I work full time and she spends every second weekend at her daddy's house, so I only have her every second weekend. I'd like her to learn to swim but we're extremely time poor as it is...though I do want her to be familiar with the water so I may just have to suck it up and take her for casual lessons (not that I can afford it at the moment).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm just curious about people's experience with really little ones? Many people say they don't learn much but the young ones where we go ( from 6 weeks) are all learning to turn around and go back to the edge if they fall in and not panic if they do fall in and find themselves under the water solotsof under water stuff. I kind of think this is really important? Do other schools not teach this to the babies? We've only ever been to the one woman so not sure happens elsewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    I'm just curious about people's experience with really little ones? Many people say they don't learn much but the young ones where we go ( from 6 weeks) are all learning to turn around and go back to the edge if they fall in and not panic if they do fall in and find themselves under the water solotsof under water stuff. I kind of think this is really important? Do other schools not teach this to the babies? We've only ever been to the one woman so not sure happens elsewhere.

No this has never been taught at any of the swim schools I went to with my kids when they were babies.

I am taking number 4 to a specific school aimed at babies once she's 9 months so they might teach her that there.

Thanks
    Reviews

We've been to 3 swim schools, and I don't think they do this with young babies, and the classes didn't start until 6 months old.

I have seen classes advertised that teach more survival skills though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've never had the kids in swimming lessons. We do take them to the pool regularly though. Whenever we do go one child goes with each parent, it works well for us. Ds1 (7) can make his way to the edge of the pool and we're working on it with ds2.

I'll defiantly be looking into the voucher for QLD that a pp mentioned a couple of pages back though.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

This is our third attempt at swimming lessons, 6 weeks disaster - screamed the whole time, 14 months - screamed the whole time. Now at 3 is thriving.

We have a pool at my parents and he has always loved it and we've out some effort into teaching him water awareness & safety. But the lessons themselves where worthless, til now. Weren't enjoyable for me, or the other 5-6 parents, who seriously didnt need (or want!) to listen to my kid screaming!

I've never really worried about him drowning, and I live in a darwin where nearly every friends house we go to there is a pool. We're very diligent & he's very aware (not that I know accidents can't happen).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where are u guys going that costs $10 a lesson?

All the swim schools and even lessons at public swimming centres around here cost around $18- $20 per lesson

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app