+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Can your child swim? How old are they?

DD is 5 and recently had swimming lessons at school for 2 weeks. I was amazed that there were children in her class who can't swim! DD and DS1 both started lessons at 6m and can swim all the strokes even butterfly. DD is a beautiful swimmer with perfect technique. For those that can't don't you worry if they fell in a pool? That was my main reason for starting but they love it so we stay on. DS2 will hopefully start next month but we've already taken him swimming a few times and taken him under the water. He loved it. I will feel so much better when I know if he falls in he can get to the edge or float on his back.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My eldest is 7 and has been going to swimming lessons since he was 6 months old but he can't swim any of the strokes without a board. All kids are different when it comes to learning. What might be easy for your children, might not be easy for others.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gizmoduckus For This Useful Post:

delirium  (01-10-2013),just her chameleon  (30-09-2013),Liddybugs  (30-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (30-09-2013),meljemillie  (30-09-2013),Mmumm  (30-09-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (30-09-2013),Witwicky  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No my kids can't swim. My almost 6yr old went swimming with school earlier in the year and I was worried that she would be the only one who couldn't but I was also surprised by the number who can't as it felt like everyone else seemed to be swimming but us! (I have an almost 4yr old also). She loved it but has anxieties (in general) and one of them is putting her head under the water.
    I thought about putting my her in swimming when she was a baby but she suffered from eczema and I was worried how it would affect her skin plus the chemical use in the water. Life went on and it's now so expensive to have 2 kids do it especially on top of other activities! We don't have a pool nor do we know anyone with one so it isn't a priority at the moment, although I do want them to learn eventually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I do worry. Especially since I have a close friend that lost her 3 year old to drowning many years ago

DD has grommets in her ears and I know we are in for a battle if I try ear plugs, so I just haven't.

We too started lessons at 6 months and loved it. Then I pulled her out for the winter because it was quite cold getting in and out of the car with wet hair etc. (pool was heated). I regret that now, because she never adjusted back into the class when spring came around. Not long after she got the grommets put in and doctor said underwater swimming was fine so long as she had plugs or ear putty.

She enjoys going swimming with us but never puts her head under.

So I suppose my plan is now to wait until the grommets fall out which should be by the time she is 5. I've just had a baby too which makes it bad timing to start up lessons again because I would have to be in with her but if anyone has any great solutions dh could probably start taking her on the weekend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 3.5 is about to start in his 3rd term of lessons. ATM it looks like a lot of splashing around but he in fact is doggy paddling. I am confident that if he fell in a pool he could get to the edge & hold on which is essential as he has no fear of the water

DH 37 + me 33 = DS1 3.5 & DS2 10 wks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole83 View Post
    Yes I do worry. Especially since I have a close friend that lost her 3 year old to drowning .
    That is so, so sad. Ive done heaps of pediatric nursing and one story that haunts me was a near drowning of a two year old. Found floating in grandmas pool by the mother. He was ok but the whole experience was just awful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmoduckus View Post
    My eldest is 7 and has been going to swimming lessons since he was 6 months old but he can't swim any of the strokes without a board. All kids are different when it comes to learning. What might be easy for your children, might not be easy for others.
    I think it also has a lot to do with the instructor/s. Kids can tend to stagnate a bit if the teachers are notbon top of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Swimming lessons aren't cheap. You'd be amazed how many people can't afford them.

11. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-09-2013),dancingchipmunk  (30-09-2013),delirium  (01-10-2013),Ellewood  (30-09-2013),FrothyFrog  (30-09-2013),Let it Go  (02-10-2013),LoveLivesHere  (30-09-2013),Mod-Myztik  (30-09-2013),NancyBlackett  (30-09-2013),Nmgb  (30-09-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (01-10-2013),peanutmonkey  (30-09-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (30-09-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (30-09-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (30-09-2013),SoThisIsLove  (30-09-2013),Witwicky  (30-09-2013)

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ck2b View Post
    That is so, so sad. Ive done heaps of pediatric nursing and one story that haunts me was a near drowning of a two year old. Found floating in grandmas pool by the mother. He was ok but the whole experience was just awful.

That is really scary! I think alot of people would think..oh that will never happen to me...because maybe they dont own a pool,etc but i think its really important they learn as young as possible "just in case" something might happen. It could save their life!

Thats why ill be enrolling DD when she is 4 months!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHoward For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (30-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Miss 5 can swim very well! she can do freestyle an backstroke for half the pool, she has done lessons since 3 and is in a class with kids older than her now

Miss 3 just started classes but can already swim back to the wall by herself etc
    Think knowing how to swim is very important

15. The Following User Says Thank You to EmPowering For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (30-09-2013)