+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I really don't know! Mine is 9, we aren't there yet, can't imagine it next year either.. Off the top of my head based on your specifics 15 seems comfortable to me, but then again if I have her a lift and she had a mobile phone then maybe 13? I have a feeling I'll be taxi mum when DD is older because I truly don't mind doing it, I can imagine dropping D d and her friends at the pool and having a coffee, getting her to buzz me when they're done. Lots of things to look forward to I guess!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (29-09-2013)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No worries sonja, i know it wasnt directly at me

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (29-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    And I should add if any of my kids wanted to move out at 17 I'm sure I'll go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son is 14 and I would be ok with him going with his friend. He has his own mobile but I'd be worried it'd get stolen when they are swimming. However my dd is 12 and I think she's still too young to go without an adult. So for me...definitely 14+.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I really think it depends on the child.. My niece is 11 and not allowed, it's a pretty individual thing..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sure I went there by my self (with friends)in late primary - 10-12? We live in a tiny (1200 people) town though and the pool was about 4 blocks away as well.

It depends in lots of things - maturity levels, safety of pool/ area you live, swimming ability, how the kids behave as a group etc etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

Sent from my LG-P705 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    High school, so 12-13.

From year 5 we walked to swim club after school x3 times a week and had an hour or so before sessions started..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Can I ask why you wouldn't let your children do the same? What are the added risk factors that weren't around 16 years ago?
    I guess my main reason is my girls aren't very street smart, they don't really stick up for themselves and I think if they were in a dangerous situation ie: if a stranger approached them I think they would just freeze up IYKWIM. They are very quiet, shy girls so I don't think they would even want to do anything like this on their own at a young age anyway. Honestly I know I am probably over protective but I just don't trust a lot of people. There probably isn't any greater risk now, compared to 16 years ago but I guess we're just more aware of child abductions etc now due to social media.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are different factors I take into account. My girls have been allowed alone as young as 8 to our local pool as we're a small country town and the attendants know us - and the girls were all fish!

However, I'm actually more concerned with the crowd. You can get some older kids who honestly are looking to cause mischief / pick a fight and they can get quite rough in the main pool. I'd rather be with my kids to defuse those situations.