+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think Chiro's do 4 years plus a masters degree. Not sure though, someone else may know

Our chiro is very gentle. Kids have never been cracked or roughly handled at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm also one of those who is not for chiropractors. I took my dd to one against my better judgement and never went back. It was awful. And she was supposedly the best in my area.
    The thing I don't get is ...
    I occasionally go to a physio. ..I think they are great and much more qualified. But I go. .. they fix me right up if I've hurt my neck or something. After a couple of sessions I'm fine and don't need to go back. Physio helped my dh immensely when he had pneumonia. But you don't need to regularly go. It seems anyone who goes to chiro has to always go regularly. . they never seem to fix anything.

Chiro on babies. .. honestly just scares me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (29-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingInPuddles View Post
    Five years. They are also government registered and regulated.
    They aren't very regulated at all unfortunately. Seems for every great Chiro there is a handful of quacks dishing out unproven treatments that are potentially unsafe and advice they aren't qualified to give (antivax rhetoric etc)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (29-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Physios were considered to be the 'quacks' years ago by doctors...
    Yes and science has proved otherwise. Not so with chiropractic, there is very little evidence to support it at this point.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (29-09-2013),Boobycino  (29-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If they are government regulated and registered, then it should be illegal for them to try and turn parents against vaccinating their children. That makes it 100 times worse in my opinion.

If they actually cared about peoples health, and wanted people to be healthy, then they wouldn't be scaring people into not vaccinating. They would either be providing completely balanced information - or not saying anything at all. As a group, they are very vocally against vaccines.

I know not all of them are, against them, but there a large number are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    This has come at a bad time for me as I've just started staking DD3 to a chiro as she has terrible wind problems. The guy I take her to was recommended by several mums at school. So far he's been amazingly gentle and she's responded incredibly well. But it does concern me as I'd never go to one myself and hate the idea of manipulations or cracking. Makes me shudder.

No one has ever said anything about vaccines to me, but I do find they push their other services onto me far more than other more main****** practices do. It actually makes it feel like a money making business more than a health service.

Our next appointment is Tuesday and I'm going to ask about this latest injury.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Techniques for babies and children are more like massage and gentle stretching/movement. Never cracking.
    Yes I made him assure me of that before we started. It's still manipulation though (which we do to babies all the time when we lift them and we probably could do far more damage). It's just the timing as I've never done it with the other kids and finally have this time and now this comes out in the media.
    Last edited by Sonja; 29-09-2013 at 21:18.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (29-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Techniques for babies and children are more like massage and gentle stretching/movement. Never cracking.
    That's the thing, some do perform the stronger manipulations on kids- that's what I mean with the lack of regulation. My understanding is that a good chiro doesn't do that to bubs and children. I do believe there are good chiros out there, just too many shoddy ones as well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (30-09-2013),LoveLivesHere  (29-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Give it time.

I'm not trying to position myself as the right-fighter for chiropractic. It's just difficult to be against something that has been so beneficial to my family when my experience has only been with highly reputable, qualified professionals with five or more years of university training.
    The unfortunate thing is that there is a lot of evidence to show it doesn't do much or has an adverse effect. Until the whole industry is subjected to stronger regulation it will be difficult to show otherwise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I havent taken ds to one, I haven't seen the need, though a mummy friend swore by hers and said once ds was born I needed to get him seen asap as "all babies get out of line during birth"
    That did worry me a bit!

I have only just started seeing one this year after putting up with pain in my hip/lower back as a teen and until now.... I mentioned it to my gp 3yrs ago who dismissed it totally.
    For me, and my problem, my chiro has been great. The first time I seen them, I couldn't stand up and could hardly walk.... The next day I wa still in pain but much better.... After a few visits I was fine for months! I overdone it doing house reno, seen then once about 6 weeks ago and am fine till now.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app